Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Restarts

• Please log in to reply

jman4001

jman4001

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
This has been bugging me for a little while now...

My computer randomly restarts, its not like a normal restart. The system doesnt shutdown. It is almost like someone pulled the plug and then plugged it back in.

I know its not a virus because I already tried formatting my HD and re-installing windows.

When I send an Error report, a browser window opens telling me that an unknown device driver cause the problem and windows could not locate which driver did it. I cant think of anything I recently added to my computer.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
First off, disable "automitic restsrt" in the system section of the control panel. to do this go to My Computer | Control Panel | System | Select the advanced tab | under "Startup and Recovery" press the Settings button. | Under System Failure uncheck the box labled "Automtically Restart"

Now, the next time your computer fails, it will show you a blue error screen (what we like to call the Blue Screen of Death, or BSoD :tazz: ) . When this shows up there will be an error message on the top of the screen, and a stop code on the bottom. Take note of what these are and then refer to the post:

http://www.geekstogo...des-t43519.html

for information on how to resolve the error. I hope this helps, and please post back to let me know if it worked or if you have other questions.

--Chris

jman4001

jman4001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
wow thanks for your help. i disabled automatic restart. when i get a BSoD ill reply with what i get. thanks again

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Glad I could help!

--Chris

jman4001

jman4001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Sorry but your write up on common stop errors didnt seem to help me. My situation wasnt listed. Here is what I got.

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC000005, 0x80566D34, 0xF347DB08, 0x0000000)

Please let me know if you have any info on that.

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hate to break it to ya, but it seems that the stop code your getting is similar to the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA, which means that one of your memory modules is either not seated correctly in the slot or (more likely) is faulty. if you have more than one module in your machine try taking one out at a time and seeing if you still get the stop error. If you have only one module, I would reccomend replacing it. Also, before you do that, make sure you have all of the latest windows updates installed on your computer, incuding SP2.

--Chris

PS. you can check this page from Microsoft out if you want as well.

http://support.micro...b;EN-US;Q315335

Edited by cheathawk1, 13 July 2005 - 08:46 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Check this out

You could try and run memtest to check the ram.

Rick

jman4001

jman4001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
hmmmm.... a ram problem, never thought of that.

That makes sense though. cause my comp is advertised as 512 MB of RAM, but in my system properties it says I only have 448....

I'll run memtest, then try the steps microsoft gives you.

God, who ever thought you might find something useful on microsoft's support site. lol

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
it shows the lesser memory because your video card is most likley using the balance

jman4001

jman4001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
hmmm that makes sense....

I ran memtest86 overnight. For some reason it froze up. It had already found 15+ errors though. I will try to use the windows troubleshoot process that Doby gave me.

Advertisements

jman4001

jman4001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
unfortunately i only have 1 ram module, so i cant take one out and run on 1/2 the ram. thanks for all your help guys. i do have a warranty plan with Best Buy so Ill take it there tomorrow and they will give me a new stick hopefully.

Any suggestions on what to buy to fill up my second slot? I got a Samsung 512MB DDR SDRAM at 333MHz. Any good brands/brands to stay away from?

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Kingston is a very excellent brand, its a bit pricy but the stability is woth it!

--Chris

jman4001

jman4001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I got another BSoD. Different Message this time. Let me know if you can help.

BAD_POOL_CALLER

*** STOP: 0x000000C2 (0X00000007, 0X00000CD4, 0X00000000, 0X83E42A00)

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
swap the ram from 1 slot to the other

jman4001

jman4001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
wait.... so you think my MOBO is [bleep]ed up???

[bleep]..... im totally [bleep]ed