Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need some help

• Please log in to reply

XGypsyX

XGypsyX

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, my first problem was a few weeks ago with my power supply, over time my computer was turning itself off, and then i noticed the power supply was going out, it kept rebooting making noises in the pc case, also it would start up when i pressed the button to turn it on, shut off real fast then start up. I have another computer that is identical to this one from the same place, same age. One day it went completely blank and no bootup at all so i replaced the power supply and it was ok..(my computer is barely 15 months old.)
I replaced the power supply last week, everything seemed ok, then just today it started doing the same thing as before, it reboots on its own but only sometimes.
and sometimes when starting up the computer it shuts off real fast then goes back on.
Now, i was told this might be a ram problem, but want to make sure before i go run out to buy more stuff that i know what else it could be.
thanks for any help you can give.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
A ram problem will normally cause blue screen errors - fatal exceptions/bsods/gpfs etc, rather than just spontaneously rebooting.

However if you want to be certain, download memtest86 from here :
http://www.memtest.org/
(It runs from a bootable floppy disk). This will test your ram thoroughly, but be warned, it may take a few hours depending on the amount of ram in your system.

Have you checked the cpu & system temps out of interest?

jman4001

jman4001

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
hmmmm i seem to be having a similar problem...

does your computer randomly restart after windows has loaded and you have logged on? cause that seems to be the problem with me.

do you get an error report that says it was a device driver error?

XGypsyX

XGypsyX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

A ram problem will normally cause blue screen errors - fatal exceptions/bsods/gpfs etc, rather than just spontaneously rebooting.

However if you want to be certain, download memtest86 from here :
http://www.memtest.org/
(It runs from a bootable floppy disk). This will test your ram thoroughly, but be warned, it may take a few hours depending on the amount of ram in your system.

Have you checked the cpu & system temps out of interest?

View Post

thanks you two, i would have to say no to both, it only happends "sometimes" and not when i login, the cpu i have not checked but dont know how to.
I was thinking of trying a memtest, was not sure which one to use.. will try that also thanks :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

I think you better list your full system specs for us, maybe the psu you replaced is inadequate for the system or just not a very good one so be sure to tell us what brand and model the psu is.

It may also help if you could list your voltages by a software readout or in bios

Rick