Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having Monitor Problems

• Please log in to reply

James_K

James_K

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just recived my desktop from overseas after moving here and at first it would start at all, only the power light would come up then after removing everything and reasembling the basics I used plyers to touch the pins so it would start eventualy the CPU fan turned on and so did the my 9800 PRO's power fan although through shipment that card looked like it was yanked out of it's socked the part that holds it in place was broken off now the computer will turn on and althought the monitor does not it stays on stand by mode it detects the cable is plugged in just doesn't display anything. Also my XPERT ram says it's freq. is set to 0.00

can anyone help me?

Edited by James_K, 13 July 2005 - 06:45 PM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. If you had the system set up "overseas" and then brought it to the US, you will need to change the setting on the power supply. The US power grid is 120 VAC, much of the rest of the world is 240VAC. Most power supplies have a plastic slide switch on the back that allows you to easily select the one you need. Now as far as the monitor goes, you need to refer to the manufacturers manual or go to their web page to find out about the power settings option on that.

James_K

James_K

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks but I moved from hong kong to Australia so the voltage is the same I really am starting to think that the whole mainboard just quit on me or one of the capacitors was lost in the middle of transit what do you think?