Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major problem?

• Please log in to reply

thepsilocybevibe

thepsilocybevibe

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I hope im posting this in the right category...I had been following some instructions meant to precede the posting of Hijack logs....I had downloaded and ran the CleanUp program meant to clear out temp files and such....After running the program, i was instructed to restart....Now im getting an error message at every startup....I cant open many programs...I get a message telling me i may have to reinstall the program i attempt to open. Also, after running the CleanUp program, i got a message telling me that some files necessary for windows to run properly have been deleted...It asked for my Windows cd (which i dont have at the moment....perhaps thats all i need?) Couple of things though.....Right now im using another user account on this computer which is allowing me to use IE. But on MY account, right before i had used CleanUp, i had downloaded Mozilla Firefox and made it my default browser (might that have something to do with it?) Long story short, i ran the CleanUp program, restarted, and now the computer is giving me bad problems...Not to mention the malware that was on it before...Any suggestions???? Thanx for ur time.

Edited by thepsilocybevibe, 13 July 2005 - 05:58 PM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
are the windows files stored on your computer
go to search and type in *.cab
does this give you a list of cab files

thepsilocybevibe

thepsilocybevibe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yeah...My Start button is sorta screwy...(not everything is displayed...I get mostly a blank area where everything is supposed to be) But i did get to search for the .cab files and yeah i got a list of them...

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
ok if a new login works ok we can trnsfer your settings to the new user - that is if everything works. or you can do a windows repair. if your cab files are on the hard drive the you should have the windows setup file setup.exe this will be in either a windows folder or a windows xp folder instead of inserting the windows cd run the setup from the hard drive. See this link but remember rule 2
Repair XP