Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

sound not working

• Please log in to reply

angryamerican

angryamerican

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
i just did a reformat...reinstalled all drivers...plugged in speakers...restarted many times...and no sound :tazz:

i have an sound card and the speakers are hooked up to an amp which is then plugged into the sound card..

anyone have any suggestions

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
hi angry-

you want to run through the standard checklist for sound problems

go to device manager, make sure the soundcard is recognized and functioning properly.

check windows mixer and make sure all volumes are turned up, not muted

check sound and audio devices in control panel, make sure correct sound card is selected for use, active, speaker settings correct

plug headphones directly into back of computer, to see if sound is coming out.

make sure your plugged into the correct jack, typically colored green, if no color should say line out or out 1, etc.

if sound coming from headphones, then make sure amp selected to correct input source

let me know how all that goes, and if it works or not!

angryamerican

angryamerican

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
went through the check list..no problems...

i cant directly plug in speakers because they have wierd jacks that only plug into the amp..but im sure the amp is plugged in correctly...when i didnt the reformat i left everything plugged in, and before the reformat the sound worked, so i know its plugged in correctly...

still no sound, but thanks for the help...

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
ok, thats why I suggested plugging headphones directly into the soundcard. that way you can test the output of the card itself.

if you have a breakout box with rca jacks to feed the stereo, it will be more difficult to test, but you should still have a headphone plug available somewhere to test with.

is this a vaio machine or other store bought type? wondering, since its running media center. if so, please list make/model of PC. additionally, please list make/model of of sound card.

angryamerican

angryamerican

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
ok..i did the headphone test, the sound worked when i plugged them into the green...i tried playing around and i still cant get the sound to work with the speakers and amp tho

i built the pc(newegg)
amd 3500+
gigabyte 6600gt gfx card
1gig corsair RAM

the video car is the Aopen cobra 850 4 channel pci

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
ok, are you using a cable that goes from the green out to feed into the rca ins on the amp? or something else?
and are you running stereo (2 channel) or surround (4 channel) sound to the amp?

angryamerican

angryamerican

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
i got it working...thanks for your help..i just plugged the amp(black) into the green instead of black into the black where it used to work...but im working so i could care less if the colors arent right

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
glad to hear its working!
the green is the standard line out to drive headphones, pc speakers, or whatever else.