Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem With Spontaneous Shutdown and Freezing

• Please log in to reply

orkney

orkney

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Good Evening,

I am new to Geeks To Go and this is my first post. As the post title states, I am experiencing difficulties with both spontaneous shutdowns and with my machine freezing up. Other difficulties are as follows:

Windows clock is reporting the wrong time and date

Clock speed is being reported incorrectly (have resolved that...but still curious)

WinPatrol is continually reporting that a new program has been installed (see attachment)

I routinely run both Ad-Aware and Spybot (scanned with the usual tracking cookie results...deleted). My virus scanner is Macafee Enterprise...is up to date. Scanned with no infected files found.

Computer is c. 4 years old. AMD AthlonXP 1700+, 768Mb DDR RAM, WinXP Pro (Windows Update is current).

Seems like the WinPatrol message is at the root of the problem, but a search tells me that it is a MS executable. I suspect otherwise, but am over my head at this point.

Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Orkney

Attached Thumbnails

• Search_Result.jpg
  • error.jpg

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Check your time/date in BIOS (tap delete key at boot, usually)

Dumprep is a non-essential system process used for reporting errors to MS. It is harmless.

The freezes are probably unrelated to the above problems. Do you notice a pattern to the freezes, for example, a specific application or command that triggers them? When you say freeze, does that mean the system stops responding, or that you lose your input devies (keyboard/mouse) or what, exactly?

Since the system is about 4 years old, hardware could be an issue. Download and install Motherboard Monitor
http://mbm.livewiredev.com/
and keep an eye on temps. Also, pop the side of the comp off and check for dust and crud on the fans. Your memory sticks are one 128 and one 256? Pull one at a time for diagnostics. If possible, replace both sticks with a known good stick just to see if there is a change in the system freezes.
HTH
Johanna

orkney

orkney

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Check your time/date in BIOS (tap delete key at boot, usually)

Dumprep is a non-essential system process used for reporting errors to MS.  It is harmless.

The freezes are probably unrelated to the above problems.  Do you notice a pattern to the freezes, for example, a specific application or command that triggers them?  When you say freeze, does that mean the system stops responding, or that you lose your input devies (keyboard/mouse) or what, exactly? 

Since the system is about 4 years old, hardware could be an issue.  Download and install Motherboard Monitor
http://mbm.livewiredev.com/
and keep an eye on temps.  Also, pop the side of the comp off and check for dust and crud on the fans.  Your memory sticks are one 128 and one 256?  Pull one at a time for diagnostics.  If possible, replace both sticks with a known good stick just to see if there is a change in the system freezes.
HTH
Johanna

View Post

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. To respond to your suggestions...

Freezing occurs randomly (lose use of my input devices). It may be at startup, after Windows has loaded, but before all desktop items have appeared. It also occurs during web surfing and while using MS Word. There doesn't appear to be any pattern. Sometimes a couple of reboots are required.

I did resolve the date and clock speed issues in setup a couple of days ago, and they haven't returned. My concern is why they occured in the first place.

I don't have any extra memory, and am unsure how to do diagnostics on what I do have. Existing memory is: 512Mb Kingston DDR (266) and 256Mb generic DDR (266).

I don't know why I didn't think of heat as an issue...guess I always suspect viruses or malware before anything else. Downloaded MBM and the case is 39C, CPU is 71C (yikes!) and the sensor is 30C. We have been experiencing a heatwave the last week or so, and my house is not air conditioned. Looks like this might well be the problem. I did dust out the case, but it wasn't bad as I do that routinely.

Thanks again for your suggestions. Is there anything I can do to bring the CPU temp down?

Orkney

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Sorry about the mem stick values...guess my brain disengaged for a minute- I have lots of rotten kids...good enough excuse?

Yep, you have a heat problem. Are the fans running okay? What is MBM reporting as revolutions per? (temp is so high I'm wondering if MBM is misreporting it?) Good news is that cpu fans are pretty cheap, and easy to install. I would leave the comp off until I replaced that one. LOL unplug the comp from the wall, and disconnect the Power Supply from the motherboard while you do the replacement.

Johanna

orkney

orkney

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
This from AIDA32:

Sensor Properties
Sensor Type ITE IT8705F
Sensor Access ISA 290h
Motherboard Name ECS K7S5A

Temperatures
Motherboard 38 C (100 F)
CPU 63 C (145 F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 4891 RPM
Chassis 2096 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.74 V
+2.5 V 2.48 V
+3.3 V 3.15 V
+5 V 4.92 V
+12 V 12.29 V
+3.3 V Standby 3.42 V
+5 V Standby 4.97 V
VBAT Battery 2.03 V

MBM is also now reporting the CPU temp as 63C.

I will install a better case fan...existing one is a real cheapie.

Yup...rotten kids...I'll buy that one. Actually, just roving about the site, I am astonished at the amount of problems and the timeliness of the suggested solutions. Please don't apologize for such a small oversight. You guys are truly overwhelmed.

I'll report back after installing a new fan. Thanks so much for your help.

Orkney

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
you might want to look at this
dumprep.exe
But remember my rule 2

orkney

orkney

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

you might want to look at this
dumprep.exe
But remember my rule 2

View Post

I like Rule #2. I'm not messing with the registry...I'll just leave it for now and deal with the heat issue first.

Thanks for the link...very informative.

Orkney

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
fair enough, this one is pretty harmless but if you do not feel comftable then do not do it.
1. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Click the Startup tab.
3. Click to clear the dumprep 0 -k or dumprep 0 -u check box, and then click OK.
4. Restart the computer.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Orkney, I'm sending you some links by PM. When I saw ECSK7S5A I choked on my coffee.

Johanna

Edited by Czarina, 13 July 2005 - 10:32 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Your CMOS battery may be low. It's about the size of a nickel and good for about 5 years. Also check your power supply voltages. You should be able to find them in Setup.

orkney

orkney

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Your CMOS battery may be low. It's about the size of a nickel and good for about 5 years. Also check your power supply voltages. You should be able to find them in Setup.

View Post

Thank you for your suggestion. I'll get a new battery...can't hurt, right?

orkney

orkney

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

fair enough, this one is pretty harmless but if you do not feel comftable then do not do it.
1. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Click the Startup tab.
3. Click to clear the dumprep 0 -k or dumprep 0 -u check box, and then click OK.
4. Restart the computer.

View Post

Thanks for the directions. I followed them, but there was not a "dumprep" reference to be found.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Your CPU temp seem to be pretty high. Did you dust of the cooler really well? How about the CPU usage, does it run near 100%, not counting System Idle Process?