Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Shutdown Problem

• Please log in to reply

HyDekar

HyDekar

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Heya!

I just got my new computer up and running, and other then a few things everythings working A-OK... EXCEPT!

When I shut down, the screen stays on 'Shutting Down' and the power light on my cash starts flashing, but the computer doesn't turn off...
It works fine restarting, only shutting down.
I noticed last night, that both the power and the hdd light started flashing regularly...
Windows XP, btw...

AMD Sempron 2800+
512MB 400Mhz
Windows XP
Radeon 9200SE-DT

Thanks for any help!

Advertisements

St0rm

St0rm

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hey HyDekar

I'm not a staff member but I can give you some basic suggestions that work well.

First download any updates at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ it is critical that you have both Service Packs installed.

Sometimes this problem is resolved by dismantling the Windows XP logon Welcome screen. In the Control Panel, click User Accounts, then click “Change the way users log on or off.” Uncheck the box that says “Use the Welcome screen.” This removes the initial logon screen with individual icons for each user and, instead, pops up the classic logon prompt that requires each user to type a user name and password.

Another possibility is that you have spyware, in which case you should visit this forum

Edited by St0rm, 16 July 2005 - 05:28 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

First of all, what av program are you using?? Both Norton and McAffee have been known to cause shutdown problems..

Next, go into Control Panel>Power management.. Click on APM and make sure it is enabled..

Now, reboot into BIOS and make sure ACPI is enabled..

Now try your shutdown..

Murray

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Sometimes Windows Update causes shutdown problems. If it says it is installing updates during shutdown, turn off automatic updates and do a few at a time. Some of them just won't install together.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Make sure that all usb devices, including flash drives are disconected. Update Roxio software if it's on your system. Try shutting things down in Task Manager before shutdown. That could be a bit tedius though....