Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restoring Old Back-Ups for Win 95

• Please log in to reply

Des0609

Des0609

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have had some disks saved since 1996 when I backed up some files in my Win 95 computer. Shortly after we upgraded to Win 98 and found out that Win 98 could not "restore" Win 95 disks. Well..9 years later I just bought a laptop (cheap) that has Win 95 on it, hoping to recover my old files. When I got the laptop I went to Accessories...System Tools...And there is no Backup/Restore. How do I get the program now to add to this old Win 95 Laptop??? I went to see about downloading Win 95 Backup software and there are tons of other ones but not sure what will restore this format. They are saved with the extension .001 and .002

I remember when I use to use this that you insert Disk 1...then it tells you to insert disk 2, then it will start, then tell you to insert Disk 1 to complete it.

Any help is greatly appreciated :tazz:

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Q. If I create a full backup set using Microsoft Backup and then remove Windows 95, how do I use Microsoft Backup to restore my files?

A. Microsoft Backup requires Windows 95. You must install at least a minimal configuration of Windows 95, including Microsoft Backup. You can then use Microsoft Backup to restore all your files.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Before you can run Microsoft Backup, you'll have to install it. To do so, double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon in Control Panel. Now, select the Windows Setup tab in the Add/Remove Programs Properties dialog box. Next, click the Disk Tools check box in the Components list box, as shown in Figure A, and then click OK.
Figure A: : Select the Disk Tools check box from the Components list box.

At this point, Windows 95 will ask you for your installation media. Insert the appropriate disk or CD. As you can see in Figure B, you may have to tell Windows 95 where to find the files. After providing the appropriate path, click OK to prompt Windows 95 to install the Microsoft Backup program.