Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrades till I can afford to build a new one

• Please log in to reply

Krendle

Krendle

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all,

I am currently in a stage where I need a new computer, however, I dont have to 2 to 3 thousand bucks to sink into it right now. So with that being said I am trying to upgrade my system as best I can. Below are the basic specs of what I have right now, according to everest.

CPU AMD Athlon XP, 1433 MHz (9x159) 1600+
Motherboard Jetway 867AS
Motherboard chipset VIA VT8366 Apollo KT266
System Memory 512mb (PC133 SDRAM)
Video Card Geforce FX 5600 (256 mb RAM)

Currently the processor is overclocked a little and the Video card is overclocked to Core Clock: 325 MHz and Memory Clock 400MHz.

Now my plan for now is to upgrade my RAM. RAM is kicking me in the butt at the moment. According to Everest the computer will support DIMM and SDRAM. There are so many out there and I really dont know whats better, or which type it will support. I dont want to go spend alot of money on a couple of chips that are not being utilized to there fullest extent, but I dont want to go out and buy something that doesn't utilize the full extent of the computer. Also Everest states shows all four memory slots and show that they all support the same, DIMM/SDRAM all but one says 512mb and one says 1024mb that has me totally confused. Will it support 2 1/2 gig or what. So any suggestions on what memory chips would help alot. One more question. I have never updated my bios. Then again I dont think I have had any problems with the motherboard. Should I update it or since it isn't broke dont fix it. I have looked on the Jetway website, and it didnt really help much. Dont think that I am too technical savy, I printed out instructions to overclock, and not too sure I did it exactly right. Thanks yall in advanced.

Advertisements

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Looks like your best upgrade from PC133 is to PC2100 memory shown here:
Jetway 867AS Motherboard (DIMM) Memory

If you don't play too many high end games, this should be enough. Otherwise, you may want to consider saving up to buy a new motherboard (and thus new memory and CPU).

As for the BIOS, I would only update if you feel that anything is giving you problems (such as random restarts or shutdowns, frequent hardware issues, etc.) With computers, I have found out that if it aint broke, don't break it! ;)

Hope this helps :tazz:

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
sorry. accidentally double posted. :tazz:

If you forum guys are reading this, please delete this message.

Edited by UV_Power, 14 July 2005 - 12:15 AM.

Krendle

Krendle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks alot. I was so confused. I finally figured dimm sdram and such, but all the PC2100 and the rest of the PC"whatevers" were really giving me a hard time. I do play Everquest 2 and boy is it a resource hog. My computer now actually does suprisingly well with it, but really can't enjoy the frills of the game. I do plan on building my own here in the next few month. I have kinda priced it out on newegg.com, but its going to run me about 3k to get what I want. I play everquest, and trying to get into the video, graphics editing so i really want to deck it out. Once again thanks for your assistance.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you are lucky you might be able to pick up a new socket A cpu, but these are becoming rare beasts and are very much a commodity.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

its going to run me about 3k to get what I want

Wow. Your planned computer is going to be a monster!