Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

1 gig

• Please log in to reply

Jared

Jared

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello all new to the forum and well i need :tazz: as it were...Looking to upgrade my Hp pavilion a220n with new vid card and memory... I did upgrade it a bit put in 512 mb and put in ATI card I am currently playing World War 2 online and they updated it (alot!) And well it is calling for a system upgrade...So anyway back to the point...1 gig memory I was wondering can i go out and buy any kind of 1 gig memory and just stick it in? Or should i just buy a new computer? lol...Anyway to the vid card I was looking for a Nivida card that is 256 mb can anyone point me to the right path on getting a good one? BTW My question about the 1 gig when i upgraded to 512 mb the guy at the counter (in Compusa) ask what was my PC so now im confused computers don't take just any old memory or do they?

Advertisements

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Welcome to G2G, Jared!

I will get straight to the point...

can i go out and buy any kind of 1 gig memory and just stick it in? Or should i just buy a new computer?

Well, you certainly don't need a new computer. As told by www.crucial.com (best memory website :tazz: ), the your best bet is to get 2x512MB sticks of PC2700. From the looks of your motherboard, i don't think it's dual-channel supported, so you don't need to worry about that.

I was looking for a Nivida card that is 256 mb can anyone point me to the right path on getting a good one?

Depending on how much you are willing to spend, I would go with the 6600GT myself. Check out this one... 1 gig of your new memory should handle it. ;)
EDIT: Sorry. Just realized the link sends you to 128MB card and not a 256MB. I don't think there is an AGP 6600GT with more than 128MB.

the guy at the counter (in Compusa) ask what was my PC so now im confused computers don't take just any old memory or do they?

Nowadays, they kinda do. If you bought a new computer today, there will be so many options for memory upgrade, you will hardly know where to begin. I think the CompUSA guy asked you what computer you had because he was making sure your motherboard wasn't too old to support his suggestions.

Hope this answers everything. If you have any follow-up questions, feel free to ask. ;)

Edited by UV_Power, 14 July 2005 - 03:58 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ram shouldnt be a problem its probably the easiest thing to upgrade in a computer. Unless you are going to get a 6800GT i would get an x800xl as it is the same price as a 256meg 6600GT and is much better usually they are equivalent to a 6800GT and they overclock well.

Jared

Jared

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks for the help...So I went to the site for the memory and i would need to do is buy 2 512 mb memory sticks? And that should equal a 1 gig...Also I am a gamer as you can tell and when I got this PC back 2 years ago i needed to upgrade it penty of times...At compusa they put new hardrive in and then when that didn't work they figured out they sold me a defected motherboard,I am having secound thoughts on upgrading because i m scared as it were that my Computer will get all messed up again...If i put 1 gig and new vid card are you guys sure that that will stop with games FPS around 7-9 and little to no CTDs? Thanks again :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you should buy components from the internet and install them yourself as to do it anyother way means you are getting ripped off or at least spending money which could have gone towards better parts. Dont get what you put at the end there but with a gig of memory and a x800 you will be getting very good fps although it also depends on your cpu as well.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

i would get an x800xl as it is the same price as a 256meg 6600GT

Really? Cheapest x800xl AGP with 256MB I could find is $289. The AGP 6600GT is about $100 less. Could you refer me to the site that shows that these two are the same price? :tazz:

If i put 1 gig and new vid card are you guys sure that that will stop with games FPS around 7-9 and little to no CTDs?

My card (which is the budget 6600 'non-GT' as shown below) gets about 11 fps on the 3DMark05. If you got the 6600GT, you could almost double that easy. Although if you can afford it, I'd recommend getting the video card that warriorscot mentioned and you will have astonishing FPS. ;)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Pretty much every british site over here, although there may be a bigger difference in AGP prices i havent really looked at them much lately as im pci-e. The x800 is amazing through the roof fps, i was playing CS:S on 10-20 fps at lowest settings before with my fx5200 now im getting 55-65 at maximum settings, it really does make a difference to your game as well.

Edited by warriorscot, 14 July 2005 - 05:39 PM.

Jared

Jared

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks for the help guys..I am going to get 2 512 mb of RAM and new video crad ughh only if i had written the name down lol (sorry) But thanks again for helping out close to total newbie of computers :tazz:

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Anytime. Hope everything works out for you. :tazz: