Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Grub

• Please log in to reply

Ebene

Ebene

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Today I managed to dual boot Ubuntu Linux with XP, to do so I had to install Grub. I attempted to delete the partition Ubuntu was on because I was stressing too much on trying to get it to work with my wireless card. Now everytime I boot up I get Error 17 from Grub.

I can't boot to a CD without that coming up. I can boot to a floppy, but it doesn't detect any other drives...

please tell me there is a way around this. :tazz:

Advertisements

Ebene

Ebene

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Also, I don't care about any of the data on the HDD. Anything will work as long as I can have XP reloaded by Thursday night.

Ebene

Ebene

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I finally managed to edit the BIOS to boot to the CD drive but I get this error:

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.

Then it tries to boot normally and I get the same GRUB error.

Ebene

Ebene

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Ok, I tried a different XP CD I had and it worked. I booted to the recovery console and I went to C:\WINDOWS. I did fixboot C: and it was a success. Then I typed exit and I still get the GRUB error message.

Ebene

Ebene

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
WOOOO, I FIXED IT!

I used fixmbr instead of fixboot.

Thanks for everyone's thorough help and support. :tazz:

Ebene

Ebene

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
GRRR, Now I'm still stuck with 2 partitions. How can I delete the unallocated partition so my C drive will show up as 40GB again?

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Use any 3rd party partition manger.
Also next time, if u decide to install Linux and U want to keep "Windows Boot Manager" instead of GRUB. Tell me, I got a way to do that.

Edited by darth_ash, 14 July 2005 - 04:41 AM.