Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

booting and installing XP thru External USB

• Please log in to reply

john18

john18

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hey guys im just new here, thanks for this forum i hope you can help me to solve my problem.

i have gateway 200arc centrino laptop, i want to install xp pro to my external usb hdd, at first i configure the bios to boot in external usb drive then seems ok it detect that i have external one, but when i select to install in external it gives me a blue scrren stated that my hhd is not supported but i configured before to boot from external device and its work stated me that "OS is missing" seems ok, the external hhd detected, i looked for another solution (i know this solution is not good idea and can cause me a trouble with my laptop, but i want to see and what ever possibility i must try to look if its work) what i did is i exchanged the hard disk laptop with my external one and install new XP, since it was detected before, only with OS missing, i configure to boot again in external usb hdd with my original(laptop) hdd, what happen again since i have 3 partitioned using a Partition Magic it says Boot Magic corrupted and it didnt continue to initialize (i thought maybe booting with Partition Magic Loaded doesnt support by BIOS), ok! so i must find another solution, i return my orginal laptop hdd and place my other hdd in external usb case with XP loaded which i installed before, to see if i will boot and detect now since i only have one installed OS, well it didnt stop here, AGAIN! since my hdd laptop installed with Partition Magic (XP pro, windows 2000 server, windows 200 pro.)in order and i configure it in BIOS to boot in my external usb devices, well my problem didnt stop here and my laptop didnt detect my external usb device, its automatically direct to windows 2000 server and bypass my xp pro installed in my laptop as well as in my external usb device. Now im getting out of solution to solve my problem, the last thing probably my problem which i think is my external usb case, do i need to change my external hdd case or just need a software to run it?, i dont need to spend more money then nothing happen again. guys i need your help, just give me some idea to solve my problem. thanks!

Advertisements