Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse PCI Conflict on HP Laptop Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

blackbeard

blackbeard

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi.......... Have spent several days trying to figure out what is at the bottom of what seems like a very seriouc port conflict on my girlfriends Pavillion Laptop (Personally I loathe HP Machines!!!!!). It's a PIII running XP Pro SP2 with 512 Mb......

about 90% of the time when you hit the power button nothing happens................... occasionally it goed to the HP welsome screen and freezes................occasionally to Windows boot screen and freezes and on the rare occasion when you actually do get as far as the Operating System proper, the machine either freezes up altogether or when trying to perform a task you get memory dump screens, Protection Fault Screens or Critical Error Screens..................

We are presently dogged with a recurring problem re Port Conflict and feel that this can be the cause of the whole problem!!!! She has one of those Logitech Mice (I like Logitech but dont like the look of this thing!!!) that is a kind of cordless option - but you need to press buttons on the oprical receiver etc to connect with the usb port (Microsofts Optical Mouse is much more reliable and forgiving - and battery free - the first plus I have ever been able to give microsoft for anything!!!!)..................

You pretty much need to leave the batteries in the logitech or every time you take them out and reinstall you have to go through this crazy button routine to get the mouse to communicate with the Motherboard...........................

That said she has the touch key mouse drivers for the Laptop installed also......................

I have run out of ideas as to how to try investigate the port conflict, let alone how to resolve the problem and wonder if anyone there can help................... Could the problem be worse that this given the machines lack of response and poor bootablility performance - could the Motherboard be a bit messed up or worse still the processor????

Would loe a quick solution to this one if at all possible - Personally I have considered the rooftop of a nearby towerblock as a possible platform for early resolution (not for me - for the Machine!!!!!)

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
My best guess is a power supply problem. Very common in laptops. <_<

blackbeard

blackbeard

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

My best guess is a power supply problem. Very common in laptops. <_<

View Post

I thought about thatas a possibility - and have not ruled it out but it does not explain the crashes down to PCI Serial bus Controller - am certain its a conflict but cannot find anything out of the ordinary in Device Manager.................. not sure really what's the story here and am very reluctant to advise her to take it to HP as I'm sure you are very aware of my distaste for corporate tech types............... It's all about Money (and lots of it!!!) and often you get your macine back in worse shape that before!!!!!

Thanks for the tip #1................... and if I hear no more back from you in the interim I will post re what we were talking about elsewhere on my return from Peru!!!!!

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
A couple suggestions.

1. Run memtest86.com. If it passes the tests the memory, CPU, and motherboard are likely okay. Although a bad power supply could still cause crashes.

http://www.memtest86.com

Installation
===============
Memtest86 is a stand alone program that cannot be executed under windows and must
be loaded from a floppy disk.

To install Memtest86:
- Extract the files from the zip archive
- Open the directory where the files were extracted and click on "install.bat".
- The install program will prompt you for the floppy drive and also prompt you to
insert a blank floppy.
- To run Memtest86 leave the floppy in the drive and reboot.

NOTE: After the boot floppy has been created you will not be able to read the floppy
from windows. This is normal.

2. Try booting using a Linux bootdisk.
http://www-106.ibm.c...-obg-SysRecover

http://www.knoppix.net/

blackbeard

blackbeard

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

A couple suggestions.

1. Run memtest86.com. If it passes the tests the memory, CPU, and motherboard are likely okay. Although a bad power supply could still cause crashes.

Will do just that....... I actually downloaded this the other day with a few other Sys Tools for my own machine and have yet to run it..................... but I can see where you're coming from on this - I will also look to see it HP or the Motherboard Manufacturer have released any recent Bios Upgrades as it may be a USB2 Problem that the existing BIOS cannont handle...................................

I guess if MemTest comes back okay I can at least discount a few likely suspects!!!!!!!

Thanks again #1!!!!!
<_<

blackbeard

blackbeard

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi #1.................. Am back from Peru but have been kept busy working on a new website: For those interested: Murphswebs

Like I mentioned before the holiiday I would like to try and help out here in whatever capacity whenever I can.............. so if you stikk feel you need an extra hand on board just let me know what I need to know and we can discuss things further to that........

you have my email address logged in your mySQL DB so email me on that if you care to......

PS. Have a link to my Spyware protection recommendations page on the site also: direct link is: Clean Up Spyware

Talk to you soon

Blackbeard

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome back! Nice site. <_<

To become a helper, please post a reply in this thread:
http://www.geekstogo...?showtopic=4817