Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hp printer install problem!

• Please log in to reply

lars_E_E

lars_E_E

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi!

I've got a Hp2040 printer. It worked before I formatted my computer, but now it does not "communicate" with the computer at all.

So, I've installed the drivers and everything, like usual: Several times. No error messages.

I've used an older post to try to help myself, but this does not seem to solve the problem:

Is the printer connected with parallel or USB cable? YES
Is the printer on?? YES
Has this printer worked before?? YES
Have you shutdown the pc, disconnected the cable, connected the cable and rebooted?? YES
If you downloaded the drivers they also may need to be unzipped to a folder as well !! YES Done this.

I've tried to add the printer, but there's nothing to add! And To do this manually, I don't know what port to install it to. What is a COM- and virtual USB port??

Could the problem be a "plug and Play" error? Drivers are installed, but the computer does not register it.

Thanks!
Lars

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
did say YES to USB or Parallel?

lars_E_E

lars_E_E

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
usb!

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
HP normally detected as soon as you plug the printer into your PC.
You can check if your USB root is functioning properly by viewing Device Manager and see if you have any warrnings next to any device.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
What version XP are you running?

I believe in the generic version (prior to sp2), there was an issue with usb. I can't remember exactly, but even in 1a, the usb driver wasn't automatically installed during installation. The user had to install it himself.

Anyways, go to Device manager, find your usb controller,and have XP install the usb driver. Just choose automatic and XP will search for the driver.

Sorry, I am on a Win2k machine at the moment, so you might want to wait for someone running XP to tell you exactly where to go.

I just brought this up as an option to check on.

samiko... you still there???

makai

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
yeap i am here Makai

To check your device manager right click my computer and manage, then click on device manager. this shoudl show you the list of devices, expand the section for Universal Serial Bus Controller and check if you have any warrnings

lars_E_E

lars_E_E

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Problem solved!

Though, no problems with USB drivers were apparent. I added the printer manually through the virtual USB printer port in the "Add Printer" section. This I did without any problems. Strange that XP did not do the job for me: It did last time!

What can be the possible explanation for this?

thanks heaps for support in hard times (printers are one of the most annoying things ever made)

lars :tazz:

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
well that tells us your USB plug and play capability is disabled. Check your BIOS and see if plug and play is enabled.

look at the following link:

http://www.microsoft...dh_dmt_odlv.asp

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You see... if you followed my advice the first time, your problem would have been solved earlier. :tazz:

http://www.geekstogo...52

Your USB controller driver may still me messed up though as XP should have detected your printer all by itself.

makai

lars_E_E

lars_E_E

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Everything else seems to be detected normally as plug and play devices.

I know that little about BIOS and how to check plug and play devices. I didn't understand much of that page you linked me to, but I'll have a look at It in time! At the moment im clueless about most computerstuff.

... :tazz:

Thanks ;) !