Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXP WIFI: Home, Office, Away, Custom

• Please log in to reply

Mouseclicker

Mouseclicker

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have never had a wireless network. I am not going to broadcast the SSID because I do not want the neighborhood finding it and trying to break the encryption code. I will give instructions to all users on how to connect to the
system.
What I have not figured out is once the connection is entered into the preferred list or any other connection for that matter, the first time you connect to the connection, the Windows XP wireless support asks if you are connecting to Home, Office, Away, or Custom. I find no details about what the differences may be for each of these settings. Does anyone know?
Google is no help either.

Advertisements

The_Sloth

The_Sloth

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
There is no difference in how it connects, Windows is just trying to help you organize your list of wireless networks in case you connect to more than one.

Mouseclicker

Mouseclicker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks. Didn't know that! :tazz:

The_Sloth

The_Sloth

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
No problem :tazz: .