Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP applications hangs when importing video

• Please log in to reply

XPCDave

XPCDave

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have recently installed WinXP SP 2 on a new PC.

The problem I am having is the following:

Overview:

Using Movie Maker or any other video editing software I am unable to import existing video files into any of the editors that I have. The application will hang and will not return an error. This problem seems to be getting worse because I am now unable to encode edited files and I was able to import them before that….

Detail:

When the application hangs Event Viewer will just say the moviemaker.exe hung at address 00x000000…

I can easily import audio files and photos into the same applications without a problem. I have tried video files as small as 1MB and they all will hang.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the codecs, changing the video driver changing the video card from a Nvidia to a ATI.

Disabling the on board sound card and installing a SB Live. Uninstalling other editors…. I have been searching the KB on Microsoft.com…

I am new to XP but not to troubleshooting MS Windows versions… I am thinking that it is a codec problem and I need to manually delete codec associated files that are left after a uninstall then reinstall the codecs.

More information:

When I first installed XP whenever I opened a folder with video files and they were set to be viewed with a thumbnail the window would hang. I had to reinstall to correct that problem. I was also using a GForce 440 MX video card to begin with now I am using a ATI card. I am thinking of doing a complete reinstall now that I have a new video card… I am wondering if the video card is the root of the problem…

What do you all think? Can someone at least give me some direction to go?

My hardware configuration is:

P4 3.2Ghz HT “Prescott”

1GB PC3200 DDR400 Memory

ASUS P4P800SE 865PE Motherboard

ATI Radeon 9800SE Video

160GB SATA HD

Sony DVD-RW

No Floppy

Software:

MS WinXP SP2 - Windows Update run within that past few days

Thanks,

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hi XPCDave, welcome to Geeks to Go! <_<

Let's eliminate the possiblity of malware first. Let us take a closer look at what is running on your PC. We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool (HiJackThis) and post a log back here with the results.

Click the HijackThis Guide in my signature, download it and follow the instructions in the guide.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.