Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTLDR

• Please log in to reply

BTPH

BTPH

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Today i sat at my comp, played runescape for a bit, then i shut the computer down (normally by going to start and shut down)

now i jus tried turning it on, it checks both the cdrom drives the gives me a message

NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

this message keeps on comming up and i dont know what to do?

any help would be appreciated

thank you
Ben

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
Hi BTPH

please follow the steps below:

Using the Recovery Console, copy the Ntldr file from the Windows XP CD-ROM to the root directory of the current active partition. Follow these steps:
1. Start your computer by using the Windows XP Setup floppy disks or by using the Windows XP CD-ROM.
2. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press F10, or press R to repair.
3. Press C to start the Recovery Console.
4. Copy the Ntldr file from the Windows XP CD-ROM to the root of your system partition by using the following commands, pressing ENTER after each command:

1. Type cd .. to go to the root of drive C. (Note the space)
2. Type the letter of the CD-ROM drive
3. Type cd i386 to change into the right directory
4. Type Copy ntldr c:
5. Type Exit

Hope that helps and please let me know if you are unclear about any of the above.

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
i have 2 hard drives (C and D) and 2 CDROM drives (e and f) now when i get upto step 2 (type the letter of the cdrom drive) i try voth e and f, but neither work (i dont know which drive is which, i should probly label them)

should i type something else like E:\ CD, or something (ive tried many different combinations bu all it says is
The command is not recognized Type HELP for a list of supported command

when i type
cd e
it says
The system cannot find the file or directory specified

???

The_Sloth

The_Sloth

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
You need to type the drive letter followed by a colon. It will look like this

e:

Then continue with the instructions given.

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
ok ive manage to do it, it asks me if i wish to override an i say yes, then i type exit, it reboots and i still have the same problem, is there anything else i can do?

thanks again,
ben

The_Sloth

The_Sloth

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Boot to the cd again, and follow the same steps to get to the Recovery Console. Once you are at the prompt type

chkdsk /r c:

and press Enter. This will run a check on your hard drive for errors and may help correct the problem. It will take a little while to run, depending on the size of your hard drive. Once it is finished type exit to restart the computer.

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
i think something is wrong, i did that and its not working, so i tried reinstalling windows still have the same prob, though i didnt override my current installation i did install to another location, which should still work

someone help please, im starting to stress out......

The_Sloth

The_Sloth

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Ok, step 1) CALM DOWN! Everything will be fine, so just relax or you'll start making mistakes.

Step 2) Answer this question: when you ran chkdsk did it find an errors on the hard drive or did it not run? I need to know the results before I can help you.

lil_lost

lil_lost

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Did you check the Harddrive connections?

My computer will do this because I have an SATA drive that does not like to stay plugged in. First I reconnect it. then I turn on the machine and go into the BIOS to make sure that it has boot priority over my other Harddrives. This will usually fix it.

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
the check disk thing ran well, when i got to 75% it went back down to 50% then when i got in the 70s it went down again, the third time i shut the screen off and lay down for a bit, 5 mins later i turned on the screen again, it said it was complete, one or more errors were detected and fixed,

and lil lost, all connections are fine

Advertisements

lil_lost

lil_lost

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
yeah if you can run chkdisk i am sure the connections are fine. Sometimes I know my BIOS will reset to default and the first time it really wigged me out too.

How did it do after it fixed the errors

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
after it told me errors were fixd, it still showed the same msg, so i got no clue wot to do

The_Sloth

The_Sloth

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
The only thing I can say to do is install XP on top of itself. When it asks to format the drive tell it to leave the existing file system intact and install it to the same directory as it is now. You'll have to reinstall all of your programs and Microsoft patches, but you won't lose any files/saved games and whatever else you have on there. Sorry I couldn't do more.

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
dont worry bout it sloth, u did the best you could and thats more than i couldve asked for, im reinstalling now and it looks like its going to work, ill let u know if it does

thanks for all the help,
ben

Javadude

Javadude

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Today i sat at my comp, played runescape for a bit, then i shut the computer down (normally by going to start and shut down)

now i jus tried turning it on, it checks both the cdrom drives the gives me a message

NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

this message keeps on comming up and i dont know what to do?

any help would be appreciated

thank you
Ben

View Post

I have that when I try to update windows xp proffesional!!!