Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC will not post

• Please log in to reply

bigjohan

bigjohan

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey guys,
This is my first time posting here at Geeks to go, sobare with me. I was at a customers PC last night that asked me to install a Wireless PCI card into their daughters PC. I didn't really get too much information on the PC itself before going there with a card. The computer they are running is an old Dell (between 1998-1999) and running win98first edition.

First thing I did was install the software and hardware, before realizing its only compatible w/ win98se and up. After realizing the issue, I uninstalled the hardware from the OS and removed it from the machine. Before leaving, I rebooted the system to make sure everything was back to normal, but it would not POST.

No other things have been changed in the hardware config. It turns on, HDD spins and sounds like its starting, but no POST beeps, and no signal to the monitor. After 30 minutes of trying different things, I finally took the machine from their house and said I'd bring it back on monday of next week.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to test? I really don't want to have to replace this old machine myself. Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
System specs?

CPU spec (is it a cartridge Pentium?)

Try pulling the vid card and/or ram to see if you get any post beeps.

If it's a cartridge CPU, maybe you jarred it loose when you installed the pci card.

makai

Edited by makai, 14 July 2005 - 09:08 AM.

bigjohan

bigjohan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I will give more spec on it once I'm out of work, but I do know that it is a cartridge CPU. I will reseat the components and see what happens. Let you guys know how it works out tonight! Thanks Makai!!