Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

XP Pro Windows Firewall Settings greyed out

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a machine running xp pro, where i recently had a problem with a virus which messed up my firewall. initially i coudn't get the settings to show at all. I fixed this but still have a problem where my firewall is turned off, but the settings are greyed out and can't be changed. I have full privileges but still can't change anything.
I have also looked into hkey_localmachine/software/policies/microsoft/windows firewall/ and then domainprofile and standard profile. They each have 2 keys reg_sz and reg_dword. It was suggested in another post that they could be deleted. has anyone tried this or does anyone have any advice on this topic??

by the way, two other xp pro machines i hav elooked at don't have these directories and have no problem

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
You more than likely still have remnants of the virus left on your machine.

Download HiJackThis (see link in my signature) and paste a log in the Virus/Spyware section on these forums.

Then one of the kind helpers will help you get rid and more than likely fix your Firewall problem at same time.