Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do I have a bad RAM module?!?

• Please log in to reply

element771

element771

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I was trying to upgrade my Gateway SOLO 1450 from by adding a 512 MB chip to the already existing 128 MB. I called Gateway and also went through the crucial.com memory chip selector to make sure I got the right one.

I purchased a KINGMAX 512MB PC133 chip from newegg. When I put the chip in along with the 128 chip. It starts to boot and then I get the following blue screen of death message:

STOP C0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \systemroot\system32\sonfig\DEFAULT or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent, or not writable. Beginning dump of physical memory.
Physical memory dump: (countup) Contact your system admin or technical support group for further assistance.

If I take the upgrade ship out then the computer boots fine with the message that it recovered from a serious error:

BCCode : 1000007e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : 80608809 BCP3 : F8A45A08
BCP4 : F8A45708 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 0-0 Product : 768-1

I haver tried swapping the memory around and the same thing happens. I have tried booting with only the 512 memory and I dont even see a boot screen. When both modules are in the BIOS reads Slot1: 128MB Slot2: 512MB.

I have also tried to upgrade video drivers and repairing windows from a boot disk. When I tried to repair the drive, a message said the the C: drive was corrupt and unrepairable.

I was wondering if I just have a bad module or is it some other problem?? If it is a bad module, would the BIOS be able to read that it was a 512 chip??? Thanks for any info anyone can give.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Have you tried it with just the new memory in. And make sure you are putting them in the correct slots for that motherboard you should download th manual for the mobo. If you dont know the model of the mobo use cpu-z or someother system detection software if there is one you prefer.

element771

element771

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have tried just the new memory and it doesnt even reach the windows boot screen.

Also, since it is a laptop there is only two slots for memory in the "memory bay" designed for easy access on the bottom of the laptop. I have tried all combos of the two in both slots.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're new memory module is either faulty or not 100% compatible. I realise it matches the specs of the one listed by Crucial & the one from Crucial is guaranteed to work, but that doesn't mean the one you've got will.
Also, I would recommend you stay away from generic/cheap brands. Most proprietry systems & laptops don't like a lot of these modules, your best bet is to stick with a brand like Crucial/Kingston/corsair etc.
I suggest you RMA the stick & replace it with a better one if possible