Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card

• Please log in to reply

buttaphly06

buttaphly06

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
i went under my computer>> right click to get properties>>hardware>> and i dont know what my graphics card is :tazz:

is there another way to find it? and to update it do i have to pay?

Advertisements

buttaphly06

buttaphly06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
can someone help me..

*sorry if i sound stupid im just really bad at computers*

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Continue were u left off.
my computer>> right click to get properties>>hardware>> "Device Manager".
Expand the Display Adapters.

buttaphly06

buttaphly06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
my computer>> right click to get properties>>hardware>> Device Manager

then i dont know what to do next..

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Yes, it's like the man said, you're looking for a display adapter. It may not be a separate card, it may be a chip or chipset. Physically it will be a large, usually square circuit located near your display connector. You may need to open the case and look for it to find the brand and part number.

The_Sloth

The_Sloth

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
WAIT A MINUTE! There is NO reason to open your computer up yet. Once you are looking at the Device Manager window you should see something like the picture I have attached. Click the plus sign next to Display Adapters like I have and post what you see where I have the highlighted line.

Attached Thumbnails

• device_manager.JPG

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

i went under my computer>> right click to get properties>>hardware>> and i dont know what my graphics card is  :tazz:

is there another way to find it? and to update it do i have to pay?

View Post

Did you find out what you need to know?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

WAIT A MINUTE!  There is NO reason to open your computer up yet.  Once you are looking at the Device Manager window you should see something like the picture I have attached.  Click the plus sign next to Display Adapters like I have and post what you see where I have the highlighted line.

View Post

But if it says "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" the computer isn't correctly recognizing the type of adapter. This could mislead someone into incorrectly beleiving that fhey know their adapter type or have installed the correct drivers,

The_Sloth

The_Sloth

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

But if it says "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" the computer isn't correctly recognizing the type of adapter. This could mislead someone into incorrectly beleiving that fhey know their adapter type or have installed the correct drivers,

View Post

True, but I hardly think it's prudent to have someone who doesn't know what they're doing digging around inside the case when it may be possible to find the information elsewhere. It at least can't hurt to look in Device Manager first.

buttaphly06

buttaphly06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
my computer>> right click to get properties>>hardware>> Device Manager >> Display adapters>> then i see VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP

Advertisements

buttaphly06

buttaphly06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
what do i do now?

woody1977

woody1977

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Well what do you want to do now, that at the very end is your graphics card "VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP", can't really help you with anything, looks like it is an intergrated card, I think. If you want to upgrade, there will be someone that will have the card for you, dependant on what you want to use it for.

cheers woody

buttaphly06

buttaphly06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
well i wanted to play the sims 2 game and i dont think i can with the graphics card that i have. on the box they have a list of graphic cards that i can use. can i just buy one of them and replace it with my old card?

buttaphly06

buttaphly06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
wat do u mean by "intergrated card"

Malevolution

Malevolution

• Pip
  • 3 posts

wat do u mean by "intergrated card"

View Post

This person meant to say integrated. This means that you don't have a graphics "card," per se, but that the graphics capabilities of your computer are built-in to your motherboard. Such graphics adapters are never impressive and frequently do not properly support DirectX, the standard for graphics and sound in games (among other things).

What -- precisely -- is the problem you're having with The Sims 2? I'm assuming that the graphics adapter doesn't support Transform and Lighting (T&L) which is where you're running into some problems...?

I found a thread on some UK forums which should help you a lot. Start by running DXDIAG and seeing what, specifically, your graphics device is listed as in DXDIAG. This should enable you to search for and download an update from S3, which may solve the problem.

http://www.thesimszo...dex.php?ID=1780

If an update does not help, there are two options to get around it:
1) Get a new graphics card. The cheapest listed by Maxis as compatible is a GeForce 4, and you should be able to find one of those for less than $40, I'd think.
2) Set the game to run in "software rendering" mode as described in the forum linked above. This will make your CPU do all the work the graphics card ordinarily would, and won't solve the overall problem; if you want to play other games on the PC you may be out of luck again.

Edited by Malevolution, 17 July 2005 - 08:43 PM.