Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell SmartStep 100D Monitor Problems

• Please log in to reply

JP44

JP44

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Some time ago I added a new video card to my Dell SmartStep 100D and that went fine. In order to install the new video card, in device manager, I simply disabled the video controller that comes standard on that machine. Now I purchased 512Meg of Ram from Kingston Technology, and after I take out the 128Meg that came with the machine and install the new memory, the monitor does not work. It has power, but just never displays anything. I plugged the monitor back into the monitor jack on the motherboard and nothing happens, but of course that is disabled in device manager. I have no idea what to do. do I need a new video card? Did I screw something up when I installed the new memory?

I've read all your other postings about this Dell product, but could not find a similar problem. This machine has been such a nightmare to work with and forget about getting any support from Dell for it.

Thanks, I hope you can help.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
try putting the original memory back in...since that was apparently the trigger...also are you sure it's the right memory?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
also....are you sure the system is booting up...without the monitor displaying it can be hard.....hold down a key for a long time and see if it beeps....if it does then the machine really is booting up fine.