Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Server 2003 : Simple question for licenses

• Please log in to reply

jayclay

jayclay

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi there, I have a quick question regarding licensing on Server 2003. I'm the closest thing our small company has for any tech assistance, which doesn't say much. Anyway, I wanted to know if we are setting up a new server running Server 2003 and we're just setting up as a workgroup, do we need to worry about the user licenses on the server? We will mainly be using this server for a network share that our company will access shared folders. I know, overkill, but hey. If we have 8 workstations, do we need 8 CAL's? Thanks for your help!

Advertisements

The_Sloth

The_Sloth

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
When you purchase a copy of Server 2003 Standard (which I assume you are) it comes with either 5 or 10 CALs, your choice. The 10 CAL version costs an additional $200. If you're going for the Enterprise edition (which is COMPLETE overkill) you get 25 CALs automatically. Go here for more info.

jayclay

jayclay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you for the link for info. I'm sorry to be a pest. Does this mean that we will need licenses for each user that accesses the shared folders on the server? So, in this case a 10 user pack to cover the 8 users? Thanks again for your quick response.

bigfastf150

bigfastf150

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I would also like to know if I need a license for every user on our network. thank you.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

I would also like to know if I need a license for every user on our network. thank you.

If they are using that Server, yes.. each one will need a license as you will have top put them in as Clients..

Murray

bigfastf150

bigfastf150

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok, thanks. Just one little bit then, If you don'nt mind? My DCs wouldnt need CALs right? since really there arent any files or devices on there that the clients would be accessing right? Just my file/print server, application server? and if I set up an Exchange server would they need them?

Thanks, lots