Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Questions about possible virus and firewalls

• Please log in to reply

Irishredlr

Irishredlr

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I have two questions. Recently my computer would not let me get to the Windows welcome screen I kept receiving the following error:

Isass.exe system error
Indicates a revision number not known by the service.
It may be a more recent revision than the service is aware of.

And my computer was stuck in a reboot cycle. I read through some past posts here of people who had similar errors, but I did not see one the same as this so I am not sure if this was a real error or a virus. To make a long story short, I ended up reinstalling a XP. So my first question is was this a virus and if so should it be gone with the new installation or could it still be around and cause a new problem? I have had clean virus scans but also did the day before the problem occured.

The second part of my question is about firewall's, I had my firewall turned off as it did not allow Aol 9.0SE to function properly and I was told that since I had dial-up I really didn't need one. So should I be using a firewall and if so does anyone know if any of the free firewall's are compatible with Aol 9.0?
Thanks!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah you deffinitly had a virus...a bad one...it should be taken care of by the reinstall. as far as the firewall, even on dialup it's a good idea to have one.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Fore firewalls I recommend Zone Alarm..... cause from reading what I have read it also helps stop trojans accessing your computer and since i have had this firewall, I have had no problems.

For AV's - AVG Free, it updates its drivers and diffenitions for FREE and its is really good and detecxting anything.

Irishredlr

Irishredlr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thanks for your responses. I will look into Zone Alarm. Right now I am using the McAfee VirusScan provided by Aol and also run Housecall once a month. I tried loading AVG before and ran into a problem, but maybe I will try again. Thanks again!

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Totally welcome.