Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP system problems

• Please log in to reply

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Ok here's a new problem I haven't had yet.

Started XP machine today, once got to desktop the taskbar/start menu was gone and most programs/services do not work. Tried to restore, got error that restore isn't available. I know it was not turned off by me. I can get into safe mode, but cannot determine the problem, and the taskbar/start menu is gone. Tried to access restore from there, but same error that it wasn't available.

I decided to try fixing with the XP cd, but when it gets to the screen to hit enter to install or R to restore...the keyboard is disabled so cannot do either. Tried a new keyboard, no luck.

What's the best course of action at this point? I am not sure if it was a virus or not. I tried deleting programs that automatically updated yesterday, but cannot delete anything using the add/remove feature. The system just hangs. Doesn't appear to be hardware related, but not sure at this point what to do. Please help me.

Advertisements

roccobladr

roccobladr

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
did you try like restoring it back a couple weeks? goto run then type in msconfig and run that, then look for the button that says system restore i think. should be easy from there.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Have you done a virus and spyware check? If you have not used your computer and then turn it on and use the internet then I think that would be a good Idea to do.

As for system restore, I have totally disabled mine so not even windows itself can use it.

As for things disapearing, please disable SSDP in services.msc and reboot your computer. If you still have the problem after that then its not that.

katkat92

katkat92

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
I figured it out, thanks so much for the tips. :tazz:

SwampGator

SwampGator

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

I figured it out, thanks so much for the tips.    :tazz:

View Post

Well tells us what you did??? ;)

katkat92

katkat92

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
It turned out to be some virus that destroyed most of my files. I was not able to access the restore, and couldn't get to the start menu or the run or anything. I got into the control panel thru my documents folder, but could not utilize any tools. Most were disabled, or if you clicked the icons they rebooted the computer instead. I tried to reinstall XP with the XP disc but the system wouldn't allow the disc to run, and the keyboard wouldn't work to type commands.

I ended up tricking it by using my Win98 disc to get it to format the HD...then installed XP fresh afterwards. It was the only hope. I tried most of the tricks I know and the files just couldn't be saved. Luckly I had a recent back-up on disc so all was not lost. :tazz:

Took a few hours, but was back up and running the same day.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

It turned out to be some virus that destroyed most of my files. I was not able to access the restore, and couldn't get to the start menu or the run or anything. I got into the control panel thru my documents folder, but could not utilize any tools. Most were disabled, or if you clicked the icons they rebooted the computer instead. I tried to reinstall XP with the XP disc but the system wouldn't allow the disc to run, and the keyboard wouldn't work to type commands.

I ended up tricking it by using my Win98 disc to get it to format the HD...then installed XP fresh afterwards. It was the only hope. I tried most of the tricks I know and the files just couldn't be saved. Luckly I had a recent back-up on disc so all was not lost.  :tazz:

Took a few hours, but was back up and running the same day.

View Post

That's one reason you don't want to use up your restore backs too soon. You may need them to getting things working after you've found the real problem.