Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot install new programs - admin issue i think?

• Please log in to reply

aleenreid

aleenreid

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Help!

My PC will not let me download anything or install any new programs... no new programs can ever be installed - windows media player, adobe reader, anything... - it always indicates something about my activex controls, but my internet options indicated that they are enabled.

THis has become a major hassel... i think it may be related to my admin rights? I have had problems with this is the past, but don't know how to ensure i have full access. I am the only user on my computer and bought it new...

Please help!!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. To verify that you have admin privileges, go to start, my computer, right click manage, local users and groups, users, and right click on your user name, view properties. Click on the "member of" tab and it should say Adminsitrators. If you see that you are an administrator, you probably have a malware infection that prevents you from doing these things. If this is the case:

First you need to work your way through the malware removal guide at the top of this forum where it says "Do you suspect a malware (Spyware, Virus, Trojan) infection? Please Start Here. ". This enables folks to solve most problems on their own. If you still have trouble after that, post a hijack this log in the malware forum at
http://www.geekstogo...o_Here-f37.html

If this is not the case, and you are the only user, you need to get administrator privliges. My experience is that windows gives the user that first sets it up full admin priviliges by default. This is why I suspect you have a malware infection.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Taking Ownership in XP

Check any pop up or ad blocker settings you have to be sure that third party software is not hindering your active X controls.

Johanna