Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HiJack This

• Please log in to reply

statto

statto

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I downloaded HiJack this, but it was instantly deleted by McAfee for being corrupted with a virus!

What action should I take? I need to get rid of the 'WinFixer' popups... i've just been Ctrl-Alt-Del out of them, and HiJack This would help that from what I hear...

Advertisements

zao

zao

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
You might want to try and download Adware Personal Se from Lavasoft usa.com. I do know it got ride of a few HiJack attempts on different computers that I have worked on in the past and it also helps with reducing the amount of adware too.

statto

statto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, will give it a shot but are there any other programs that do what HiJack This! does, with the logs? I downloaded it from this site and am curious...

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well for starters this is what was posted on the main page http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/

May 22, 2005:
McAfee is at is again, unfortunately. Yes, I am aware of the fact that McAfee detects HijackThis 1.99.1 as a generic worm. For the fourth time. Yes, I am aware of the fact that McAfee detects the StartupList standalone as an mhtml exploit webpage. This makes respectively the fifth and sixth time McAfee has mistakenly detected one of my programs as some brand of virus. And I'm getting pretty tired of this. Am I supposed to email each and every new version of a program I publish to McAfee so they can verify that UPX compression does not automatically equal a scary virus??

that said we have an excellent malware forum that can help you. please start here

thanks,
Starjax