Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RAM Info

• Please log in to reply

jman4001

jman4001

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I'm looking to buy a new stick of RAM to go with my SAMSUNG 512MB DDR SDRAM at 333MHz and I am a bit unfamiliar with certain terms being used. I have heard that good brands include Kingston, Corsair, and Crucial. Can I have a stick with a higher speed than my existing one? Can I have a stick larger that 512 MB? What is ECCC and is it important? Whats the difference between Registered and Unbuffered? Do Cas Latency and Voltage make any difference in the stick?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you want the stick to be the same speed as it will only run a the speed of the slowest stick and you wont be running dual channel so any old ddr333 ram should do. registered ram is only need for socket 940 cpus so you dont need to bother about that. You can have a bigger stick of ram of you want as well.

Unklwok

Unklwok

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hmm, nevermind :-x

Edited by Unklwok, 14 July 2005 - 06:57 PM.

jman4001

jman4001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks for you input.

Does anyone know what ECC is or anything about Cas Latency or how much of a factor voltage is?

ggordie

ggordie

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
having more ram wont nessecarily make your computer faster... and what on earth do you need with more than 512mbs?

HyDekar

HyDekar

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Everybody needs a GB of RAM! ;) :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah a GB is really essentail for modern games and software. ECC i forget what it is its not that importnat when buying you ony get a choice on the major sites between ddr and ddr2 ram and laptop modules as long as you look under ddr it should be compatible. CAS latency you idealy want to be lower, read the pinned topic on overclocking in the system building forum. Voltage is only important as long as it has the requirements which shouldnt be a problem and when you overclock it will need more voltage.

ggordie

ggordie

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
oh.. psh, games.