Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Driver Problem

• Please log in to reply

Telmj

Telmj

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I hope this is in the right place, sorry if its not!

I'm on Windows 98 and recently I've had odd graphics problems.
Basically, my display settings are stuck on 16-bit colour and 800x600 screen res.
I thought this must be a problem with the display driver (NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64) so I downloaded the driver from the NVIDIA site, and tried installing it.
It got to the end of the installation and said it was "unable to locate any NVIDIA graphics chips on this system".
Deciding my computer must be confused (as it often is) I downloaded Everest to see if I was actually installing the right driver and it showed:

Device Description: NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro 6.23
Main driver: nvdisp.drv

It thinks its installed and working correctly and so does the computer, but my display settings still wont change!

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this problem?
Other than get a new standalone graphics card, which I'd rather not do.

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the drivers because at the same time this problem started I lost my mouse control due to driver problems (but fixed the mouse by deleting it in device manager and letting it reinstall itself).
I have recently had the GedzaA virus if that helps at all....

Thankyou for any suggestions!

Advertisements

logan11

logan11

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I actually had that same problem, and the people at Gateway told me the only way to fix it was to buy a new video/graphics card

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
From them? Try removing and then replacing the card, tis way it will be installed fresh. You might want to run driver cleaner a couple of times to get rid of the old drivers before you put on the new one.

Telmj

Telmj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Could the problem be anything to do with the computer over heating?
I just noticed a cd I took out the machine was hot and went to check the fan speeds. Although the CPU fan is working fine (speed is normal) the system fan seems to have stopped.... I think I must just have died because the speed is down at 0 rpm and won't change.
May seem like a stupid question, but could I have melted my video card!?

I dont think I like this computer much any more........