Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems after format

• Please log in to reply

street9009

street9009

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Over the past few days, I've been in the process of wiping out my hard drive and starting fresh. Last night I finally got XP installed properly and the hardware and drivers going. Then, to my dismay, I found that it's nearly impossible for me to coax it into getting an IP address.

I suppose my home network's setup is important so I'll describe that briefly: I have two computers in the house, a desktop and a laptop. The laptop is the computer I formatted, and it is supposed to connect to a router via the wireless card that came with the router. The desktop is also connected to the router, hardwired. Then the router is obviously connected to something, in this case a cable modem.

So, last night after I got XP back up, I tried to get it back on the internet. I couldn't get wireless to work at all (more on that proglem in a moment), so I took it to the router and borrowed the desktop's networking cord and hardwired in. It took some doing, but I finally got a connection that way. Thinking perhaps it was a driver problem, I got the latest one from linksys (for the wireless card of course), and then just to be safe, got all the windows updates from microsoft (except SP2).

Then I tried the wireless card again. And after some uninstalling and reinstalling of the card, it managed to get an IP and accessed the internet. And through a few restarts, it managed to keep working. So I shutdown and went to bed.

This morning, I started it up just to check the weather before going to class, and found that nothing I did would make the wireless card work. It connects to the router (as in it gets a connection), but won't access the internet. ipconfig /renew times out. I'm at school right now and am going to try hardwiring to the router again when I get home this afternoon.

I don't know what else to do. Not sure if its an XP bug or what. If anyone can shed any light on this, I'd be appreciative.

Thanks alot for reading.

Advertisements

street9009

street9009

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
A quick follow up: I am now at home and have found another significant piece of information. No matter which connection I try to use on the laptop (hardwired or wireless), it takes a while on startup to even recognize that it's there, if that makes any sense. I'm guessing all that means is XP sits for a while waiting for an IP and doesn't get it. But that rules out any problems with the card itself. Its gotta be on the computer, if my logic is correct.

street9009

street9009

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well, I'm back online via the wireless card again. Hopefully this time it lasts. I upgraded the firmware while I was at it so maybe that fixed it.

Abbess

Abbess

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Try the microsoft patch KB884020hwhich addresses the problem:
click here for the microsoft web page