Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't POST.

• Please log in to reply

lubedpumpkin

lubedpumpkin

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Here's my problem:

I forgot to turn my fan back up to high speed when I went to work. (I turn it down at night as I have my <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlog...r conditioning" onmouseover="window.status='air conditioning'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">air conditioning</a> on in my room and it's cold as an ice cube. My mom IMS me at work asking why my computer has been violently beeping for -15 minutes- *sigh* I tell her to shut it off, as that means it's overheating.

Come home, plug it back in, temp is normal, computer boots up fine etc etc. I noticed that it started up at 266mhz instead of the usual 333mhz so I fiddle in the BIOS, turn it up to turbo. Restart.. computer won't POST. Motherboard light comes on, CD-ROM opens and shuts, harddrive spins, but there is no "beep" of any sort and the monitor light flashes with no dislpay on screen.

Is it possible my CPU is fried? If this had happened before I had already had it on I would believe that, but I'm curious because I had it running for about 10 minutes at a good temperature and it was fine.

I took the computer apart, checked connections, checked mounting on the CPU, popped the battery for a few minutes (I'm about to do it again and let it sit for more than like, 5 minutes, maybe that's the problem.) How frustrating. ;)

Any other ideas before I drop $100 on a new processor? :tazz:

EDIT: I read "gerryf"'s guide saying what to try if it did not post and nothing has helped. ;)

Spec:

Shuttle AN35N Ultra mobo
AMD Athlon 1800+ cpu
768MB DDR PC2700 Corsair
Radeon 8500LE 128mb
Philips Soundcard
Onboard LAN
2 Western Dig HD's 7200RPM 8mb cache
52x CD Rom
Windows XP Pro SP 1

Edited by lubedpumpkin, 14 July 2005 - 06:17 PM.

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Hi there-
I had a look at the site for your board, but their links to the manual etc arent working.
I would suggest you use the clear cmos jumper to reset the bios. the jumper is typically close to the battery somewhere. its 3 pins, with a cap over two of them. unplug PC, move the cap to cover the open pin for a few seconds, then reset to original position.
so if the cap was over pins 1 & 2, move to pins 2&3, then back. or from 2&3 to 1&2 to reset, whichever is appropriate.
this will get you back to default bios settings, and you can try to boot again. if it comes up, great, you just need to reconfigure a few things for you system. if not, then it looks like you cpu may be fried.

let us know how it goes!

lubedpumpkin

lubedpumpkin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks very much for the tip. :tazz: I dug out my motherboard manual, and did the CMOS reset (it involved holding "insert" and such) but that didn't help.

Ah well. Best Buy is having a deal on processors.. ;)

Thanks for the help!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
It could be the Northbridge went out instead of the CPU... meaning it could be your mother board.

Could you borrow a CPU from someone to try it out first before buying a new one?

makai

lubedpumpkin

lubedpumpkin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
But, If the motherboard was the problem wouldn't the LED on it not turn on? Or can the problem be more localized?

I have a feeling the chip is fried since it was on overheat alert for 15min..

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
The cpu could be "Emergency Shutdown" before the Post. I had the same problem recently, try an invoke the manufactures warranty. I have an intel CPU, but Im pretty sure AMD has a warranty, unless you were OCing your CPU..