Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Restore to original state

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I need help. I want to restore my dell dimension 2300 to its original state...not the system restore. Does any one know how????

much appreciated!

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Put installation disk one into the cd player and restart the computer. When the menu comes up choose Install Windows. If the menu doesn't come up and Windows opens as usuall you'll have to go into Setup and change the boot sequence to cdrom first. To do that restart the computer and one of the start screens will say "To enter Setup Press" such and such a key. You may need to be very quick to catch it. I have a Dim2300 but have only entered setup once. Then exit Setup and save settings. When it boots the Setup menu should be there. Choose Install Windows over repair. You'll need to change the boot sequence back when your done. Your ProductKey should be on your case, have it handy, but in most XP installations the PK is stored in CMOS and you won't have to put it in. I did recently do a fresh install with an HP and that was the way it worked.