Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU

• Please log in to reply

cros4t

cros4t

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
My cpu just shuts off. From a search earlier of this wonderful sight, it would seem that I might need a new fan. I have no idea what kind of fan I need. Do I just go to the store and ask for a fan. Will they know what fan I need based on my computer? Do I replace mine or add another one. Mine does not seem to be working at all. It isn't moving at all. Help :tazz: I have only a limited amount of experience with taking the computer apart.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

If your cpu fan is not spinning this will indeed shut the computer off, the motherboard senses the cpu fan is not spinning and shuts down to prevent overheating and damage, this is a good thing.

You need to replace the fan, fans come in different sizes measured in mm, it could be 50mm (very old machines) 60mm most likely or 80mm. I suggest you take the fan off by removing the 4 screws that connect it to the heatsink, then disconnect the wirer from the motherboard and take it to the computer shop with you. This way you will get the proper 3 pin connector that is needed to connect to the motherboard and the proper size fan

Take note were you disconnected the wirer from as the new one will have to go back to the exact place you removed the old one on the motherboard.

Most fans have 2 little arrows on them that indicate rotation and direction the fan pushes the air, when installing the new one it is extremely important that the fan pushes air down on the heatsink as indicated by the arrow.

This is not a difficult procedure nor a costly one but make sure you ground yourself by touching the case to discharge static electricity that is harmfull to computer parts before touching anything inside the case.

Rick

cros4t

cros4t

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Thank you so much. I will certainly try this. I did go to the bios area and it looked like the fan was not on at all (during the winter I did a non-destructive system recovery to fix this problem). I am not sure if something was reset. I will acquire the fan and be on the ready. :tazz: