Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Disc Error with Sata Drive

• Please log in to reply

Kimmers

Kimmers

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Recently we purchased a 160 gig Western Digtail Sata hard drive, Plugged it in loaded windows onto it no problems.

Couple days later we were getting the problems that sometimes we would get a slow start up or that we'd get an error saying that the boot disk wasn't there.

So I pulled the plug out of the back of the drive lugged it back in, Changed the port that the sata drive was plugged into and it seemed to fix the problem.

What happens now is not every time, But at least once or twice a day it comes up with this error. We've taken to turning the computer off shutting it down then turn off the switch to the power supply then back on and that seems to work.

We are using Windows XP as our operating System, The board isn't more than 12 months old its Gigabyte GA-8IpE775 Pro board.

Please can someone help me with this problem as to why its not working?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
It looks like you did everything you're supposed to do.

If the computer works most of the time and only errors out once in a while, then it could be the drive, or the sata controller. Did you change the sata cable itself? Do you have a spare one you could try?

I would contact Gigabyte for a possible RMA... and Western Digital too.

makai

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
There seems to be some issues with this motherboard (and others of the same series) regarding boot problems. I suspect this problem may be related to the bios's ability to handle drives larger than 137GB (ie 48-bit addressing).

Try updating the bios before you give up on the board completely.

Kimmers

Kimmers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

It looks like you did everything you're supposed to do.

If the computer works most of the time and only errors out once in a while, then it could be the drive, or the sata controller.  Did you change the sata cable itself?  Do you have a spare one you could try?

I would contact Gigabyte for a possible RMA... and Western Digital too.

makai

View Post

Yeah changed the cable and all, This actully did it on a IDE Western Digtail 160 Drive

davidbaker72

davidbaker72

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am currently experiencing a disk issue with the same motherboard. This board is not supposed to have RAID, however it seems to behave like it does sometimes, I have had two disks act as a mirror when plugged into the secondary IDE channel. Both disks wre jumpered to cable select.

I installed XP on the SATA drive, and I left the BIOS defaults intact, and it has destroyed two NTFS drive partitions. The strange thing is that it looked like it had copied the MFT from the master drive to the slave drive all on its own. I think there may be something buggy with the GA-8IpE775 Pro board. I can't find any known issues on the manufacturers website though.

Any ideas ?

If I find out what it is, I'll pass it on.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi davidbaker72, welcome to G2G

Thank you for your input re. the Gigabyte motherboards. In regards to your own problem though, could you please start a new thread & repost everything you've said in there. We get rather confused I'm afraid when we have to deal with more than one persons problems in a single thread!

Samm