Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Data recovery

• Please log in to reply

Oppiano Licario

Oppiano Licario

• Pip
  • 2 posts
An old computer was recently upgraded (memory added, CD burning device added, that sort of thing). Windows XP was installed, which had the effect of erasing everything on the previous system, Windows 95. Unfortunately, the person who did the work forgot completely to make a back-up copy of the files in the hard drive. 4-5 years worth of very important data disappeared overnight. Is there any hope at all? Could someone point me in the right direction?

Specifically, the most important stuff were in the so-called "personal filing cabinet" of aol. I had hoped that aol might perhaps have copies saved/backed up somewhere in outer space. But apparently (this is according to one aol tech I spoke to), there's no retrieving the lost data through aol. What to do? :tazz:

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Highly unlikely you could get any of the files back. I don't even know where to start on this one!!!

makai

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
There is still some hope. http://www.data-recovery-software.net/ download their tool and follow the instructions.

Hope you'll get some or all of your stuff back!

If this program doesn't find anything, I will be glad to help you get your data back in another way or with another program.

Emery

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
well, you said you had XP installed, I would think freashly installed, right? So you had your HDD formatted and a new copy of XP installed. Unfortunately in that case the recovery of your files are very slim. Follow what S A A B had recommended and it depends how important your data is, you can send it to a recovery specilist but that would cost you a lot of money.

splintax

splintax

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

you can send it to a recovery specilist but that would cost you a lot of money.

True, but this is probably the best way to go if you have no luck with the software recommended.

It really depends on whether a quick or full reformat was done on how much data remains. I would try and get the person who did the reformatting to foot the bill for data recovery unless there is some obvious reason why you can't do that.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
Well put splintax, I think whoever formatted his PC should pay that bill :tazz:

movin4009

movin4009

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Try http://www.diskemergency.com where you recover your data easily. You just submit your problem online and get the job done in short time.