Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

2x 6800 SLI

• Please log in to reply

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Hi, I'm going to be buying a second 6800 PCI-e to run in SLI, I'm wondering if my 500w PSU is big enough?

Here is the PSU in case you need a detailed look:

http://www.ultraprod...7&productID=160

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
500W is big enough they are supposed to run on 420W. Just remeber to get the same make( and batch if possible) and you will need to flash the bios of the cards so that they are identical for SLi to work.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

you will need to flash the bios of the cards so that they are identical for SLi to work.

View Post

you do :tazz: That sucks ;)

You have to take a chance of rendering your v-card useless just to get SLI to work....I wouldnt think nVidia would do that?

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
Im not sure if this PSU will work. I know for the 7800gtx for SLI you need 34A on the +12V as a minimum and the 7800gtx uses less power than the 6800 Ultra. Do you meen the Reg. 6800 not the GT or Ultra. Becuase then nevermind

Metalive

Metalive

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Just the regular vanilla 6800. I was considering unlocking it to GT speeds, but then I find out the PCI-e does not have 4 masked pipelines like the AGP, so I'm stuch with 12.

What is flashing the BIOS, is this really necessary? I don't want to throw $250 down the drain.

Also, is this the route I want to take? Or should I just stick with one 6800 for now, then after the price drops a bit on the 7800, sell my 6800 and buy one? Or would I get more power out of two 6800's?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You get more power from one 7800 than two 6800 ultras, yes it is neccesary to flash both cards bios. SLI unless you do it when you build the PC and buy the cards at the same time is really difficult to do. Nvidia did it so they could get SLI released before ATI had there dual card system ready even though SLI could have done with more work. Also this is nvidias first generation of dual card system and ATI are on there second so there was added presure and they needed the head start so they released it thinking as long as only building companies used sli they would be fine and get a advantage, it has worked to an extent.

Metalive

Metalive

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I have a question. I'm looking into ATI's cards and the x850 looks even more powerful than the 7800... faster clocks and all.

It's also a ****load cheaper...

Can you fill me in? Does ATI still have another card coming out like Nvidia with the 7800? Or did they beat it with the x850? Should I be looking into one of these cards and switching to a crossfire mobo?

Edited by Metalive, 17 July 2005 - 04:50 AM.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Stick with SLI for now because nobody really knows how well Crossfire will work when it hits us (gamers)

As for the X850 it not as fast as the 7800.The 7800 is the fastest gaming v-card on the market for now.Will have to wait and see how the Ati 520 core does

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The x850 isnt quite as powerful as the 7800 but it is a card of the same generation as the 6 series. ATI will be releasing there next generation of cards(answer to 7 series) in the next couple of months and the ATI press releases and leaks would indicate that the new ATI cards have several times the power of a 7800GTX. You are as well of with an x850 as a 7800GTX as it wont be as hard to replace having spent less money on a card, it plays all current games better than a 6800 Ultra will and there are more x850s about now the pro version can be had for the price of a 6800GT.

There arent any crossfire mobos as yet for the ATI 200 chipset they should be shipped about the same time as the next gen of ATI cards. In a year or two you should probably think about switching over unless Nvidia can muster a good response, although this is unlikely.

Metalive

Metalive

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Any date on the r250 yet? I've been reading some reports on it and all they say is that it is delayed. Sometime this fall I would assume?

Will it be around the same price as the 7800? Also, will there be other more powerful versions, like an r250xt or something like that? Or are they taking the same route as Nvidia and just releasing one version like the 7800?

I know none of this has been confirmed, but any rumors?

I figure I will just start setting aside money now to get an r250 when it is released, as signs are pointing to it being more powerful than the 7800.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The R520 was supposed to be released this month but was put back to august when the nvidia card turned out be lesser than nvidia originally let on. The R5xx series of cores goes R520, R560 and R580 at the moment its very hush hush and the 580 might be re labeled R620 possibly as it is supposed to have a different architecture completely from the 520 and 560, there is probably going to be xl series so expect R530 and R540 revised cores at the back end of the year probably.

The crossfire testing has gone really well the tech demo boards handed out to hardware reviewers apparently performed really well compared to SLi.

Metalive

Metalive

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I just realized I was calling it the r250 instead of r520 :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Didnt want to say anything, lol.