Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do I need a new laptop

• Please log in to reply

birdman101

birdman101

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I currently have a 2000 IBM model 1426 thinkpad using Windows 98se with a processing speed of 500MHz, 512 ram and 10G HD. Being as old as it is I wanted a new battery that cost $250 for a refurbished one. I have also rebooted to the original OS, W98, and wanting to install a wi-fi card am finding that I need to upgrade my IE which is at 4.0 to 4.5 in order for my card to work. I have recently returned the $80 wi-fi card and am in the process of returning my battery.

Since I am still computer illiterate I am leaning towards an Apple powerbook, very expensive although still similar in cost as to the previously purchased IBM back in the day. I plan on using my system for personal video editing and for a small business.

Is my current IBM still workable in todays climate or would I be running on a treadmill to get an old dog to do new tricks? Added note I do alot of travel and try to get online in various ways with my current way going through my cell phone, very very slow.

Thanks

Ken

Nathen555: Thankyou, I was kind of holding out hope that I could still use mine but I will look for something faster

Jman4001: I am under the asumption that there is no more tech support for Win 98 as of this year and that even if I switched to XP then I would still need to upgrade my RAM. Thankyou for helping me decide to go new

SwampGator: I will get a new laptop but am still thinking on going Apple because of support and training issues. I feel that a tool is good only if you use it and maybe the Apple will allow me that pleasure. I don't foresee many programs that I would need at this moment.

Hudihoo: Thankyou for keeping me upto date on all my spelling errors, Iwill try to do better in the future. As I told SwampGator I feel that the Apple has the biggest appeal to me at the moment because of support.

Edited by birdman101, 16 July 2005 - 09:14 AM.

Advertisements

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
Hmmmm The Memory is Find and Hard Drive But the Processor has put me off 500MHz atleast get a new 1 with:

over 1.4GHz
512MB DDR
Nvidia Graphics
40GB Hard Drive
48 Speed CD-ROM/CD-RW/DVD-ROM

Around that really

IBM dont do very fast processors really go for DELL , HP , COMPAQ

jman4001

jman4001

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I would definetly get a new laptop. Your operating system alone is outdated. A new laptop with better hardware and a more up to date operating system should really help all of your compatability problems.

Good Luck

SwampGator

SwampGator

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Definately a new lap top and steer clear of the Apple unless you plan to do alot of graphics, etc. The software for them is outrageous!

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
i can tell you are computer illiterate because you spelled computer wrong. But i would get a whole new one. no apple. if for business i would go with dell even though i hate dell for personal use they are good business computers. If for business and personal use go with an HP for price and quality.