Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What really is slowing down my PC?

• Please log in to reply

ronscores

ronscores

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
My system specs:

AMD Sempron 2200+ (~1.5 Ghz) (3DNow!,MMX)
Asus A7V400MX Mobo (VIA S3G Unichrome IGP -- onboard video)
256 MB DDR RAM
32 MB Video RAM (can also be set to 64)
Dual Boot : Win 98 SE and Win XP pro with SP2
40 gb Seagate HDD (has 2 bad sectors on C: (Win 98) and one bad sector in D: (Win xp)) of which nearly 36 gb used :tazz:

Both take a while to load... but XP takes longer
and i only have XP pro with SP2 installed ...no other updates installed..
Should i install some security or vulnerability patch.. (coz' i get network attacks which Kaspersky beta 2006 successfully repels!)
and what tweaks need i do?
And i'm sure it ain't spyware as i have MS antispyware too!
Personally, i feel its kaspersky beta 2006 which eats up my resources!
but the interface and the AV package itself ROCKZ.

hmm or do i need to do some tweaks which are pinned above??
or is my system built for only this performance??
does anyone with the same config. have faster PCs? coz' XP takes some 5 mins to load!

I've reformatted recently so i think it's a lot of old data (read dump) that still reside on my PC which is cozin' all this...

I'd like ta hear some good news soon!

Advertisements

OSC

OSC

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 301 posts
Hi ronscores,

Bad sectors on a disk can make a computer craaaaaaaawwwll and the problem will probably keep getting worse. Depending on the model of the hard drive, some manufacturers have utilites to try and repair those bad sectors, but in my experience, it's not worth it. If it were me, I'd buy a new hard drive, transfer the data over and start over. :tazz:

ronscores

ronscores

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
i understand .. but i ain't experiencing any problems lest the speed..
and how'd u explain 98se bweing faster than XP and i forgot to mention one more thing... my XP is on partition D: which is FAT32 (not NTFS) so could this be my cause? and if at all i change to NTFS can this partition be viewed under 98??

OSC

OSC

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 301 posts

and how'd u explain 98se bweing faster than XP

Probably because 98se is not touching the part of the disk that has the bad sector. Having XP on FAT32 is perfectly fine. If you convert the 98 partition to NTFS, you can say goodbye to your 98 installation. It won't work.

Hope that helps.

Shaggy

Shaggy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
It bears mentioning that XP is much more system resource intensive (memory, etc.) than 98. There is nothing wrong with your system specs that I can see, however, XP tends to run much better/faster the more you can throw at it in terms of CPU speed and memory. For instance, XP would probably run much better on a 2.0GHz+ with 512MB RAM than on your system per se. With 98 on the other hand, your system is more than it ever dreamt of seeing.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Try Microsoft's Bootvis. It helps to optimize system bootup time.
Get it from here.

Install it in XP.
Open Bootvis.
Trace->Optimize System.

(Note: It will take a reboot and a few minutes after reboot, be patient.)

Edited by darth_ash, 16 July 2005 - 12:58 AM.

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
To speed up your boot time:

I'm not exactly sure if it's this way in english versions of XP because I am translating it from Dutch.

Start>control panel>system>advanced>restart and recovery settings>you will see two numbers under your list of Operating Systems. Change those numbers to half of what they are now. Keep going until you like your bootup speed. I've turned my numbers down to 3 and 5 seconds.

Hope that works for you.

Emery