Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Page can not be displayed"

• Please log in to reply

errtzu

errtzu

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi everybody, there are a few sites that just seemed to have stop working for me, well it use to be 1 then 2 and so on ...(that have worked for years) ...

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings. .... Cannot find server or DNS Error Internet Explorer

I’ve done everything from:
Disabling firewall, Antivirus
Firefox, IE, and Opera All same results, blank screen or this page cannot be displayed.
No issue with any other web pages that I have used for years.
Cannot browse by IP or URL.

ANY help please.

Edited by errtzu, 29 July 2005 - 10:25 AM.

Advertisements

cnmsales

cnmsales

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Can you ping the site by name or IP adress?

errtzu

errtzu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Just by IP ...

Oh, I know for a fact nothing is wrong with the sites it self since Ive had handful of people try for me and it works fine.

Edited by errtzu, 24 July 2005 - 12:34 PM.

donnyball

donnyball

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have the same problem, using IE6, Mozilla and Firefox. One clue might be with a specific example.

I cannot access sites using www. but if I leave that off I can reach the sites. For example, I type www.buzzflash.com or click on the email links and get the page cannot be found, but type http://buzzflash.com and it comes up fine, except all the links built in to the page don't display, because they use "www.". Another is nerve.com. Using http://nerve.com I can get to the site but cannot access the renewal page because the link is www.

These pages used to work fine!

errtzu

errtzu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well, donnyball, your case is still some what different from mine.

I can NOT access the sites AT ALL ... like I said by URL or IP.

Though the sites did work for Years and for it to stop is just SO Frustrating ;)

Hopfully someone can come up with a solution to this, as I'm still searching from page to page of DNS problems for SOME kind of a solution. :tazz:

Edited by errtzu, 23 July 2005 - 07:05 PM.

errtzu

errtzu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
:tazz:

donnyball

donnyball

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey, Donald did solve my computer problem. Here's the file he cleared:

"hosts" in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

Did not delete the file, just emptied it. Voila! Everything works fine now.

Initially he feared some malware was hijacking addresses, but then determined that one of my programs is not allowing updated url's but keeps looking at the original. So when a site changes its address the browsers still look for the original address which, of course, no longer exists. It couldn't hurt for you to try it although he said it most likely would not help. Let us know!

errtzu

errtzu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ahh, thats good to hear! But you see here:

So when a site changes its address the browsers still look for the original address which, of course, no longer exists.

The sites address has not changed ... but Ill look anyways into the file and see what happens, but I think he maybe right of it not working ...

Edited by errtzu, 25 July 2005 - 10:27 AM.