Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

deleted needed windows files during virus scan

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

KimKenM

KimKenM

• Pip
  • 4 posts
If someone would help it would be greatly appreciated! My daughter had tons of adwares, popups etc on her computer. I downloaded Avast virus program and ran at boot up. About 100 things were found and I selected to delete them all. When I rebooted, I received the following message on a blue screen...A fatal error in IE has occred .......Error caused by Trojan.spy.html.smitfraud.c System can not function in normal mode.....
Thinking I may have deleted some important windows files during the scan, I then got out my xp install disk and tried to do a setup fix but it kept freezing up during "saving configuration". I then tried a restore using the xp installation disc and ran a chkdsk /r . If I did not respond to a question immediately, my system would freeze. It took almost 2 hours to run and when I rebooted it went into the windows installation mode and installed xp over again.

When I rebooted, I got the same blue screen with the trojan warning above.

So...... I started up in Safe Mode and the system keeps freezing. So now I can no longer get into Windows at all. I don't mind reformatting and starting all over, but I have information I need to backup first. Does anyone know how I can get to the info to back it up or how to fix the above?

Thank you so.......much for any help. :tazz:

Kim

P.S. - I read on the forum about what to do before I post, but I can't even get into windows to do any of that.

Advertisements

KimKenM

KimKenM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
If someone would help it would be greatly appreciated! My daughter had tons of adwares, popups etc on her computer. I downloaded Avast virus program and ran at boot up. About 100 things were found and I selected to delete them all. When I rebooted, I received the following message on a blue screen...A fatal error in IE has occred .......Error caused by Trojan.spy.html.smitfraud.c System can not function in normal mode.....

Thinking I may have deleted some important windows files during the scan, I then got out my xp install disk and tried to do a setup fix but it kept freezing up during "saving configuration". I then tried a restore using the xp installation disc and ran a chkdsk /r . If I did not respond to a question immediately, my system would freeze. It took almost 2 hours to run and when I rebooted it went into the windows installation mode and installed xp over again.

When I rebooted, I got the same blue screen with the trojan warning above.

So...... I started up in Safe Mode and the system kept freezing. So now I can no longer get into Windows at all. I don't mind reformatting and starting all over, but I have information I need to backup first. Does anyone know how I can get to the info to back it up or how to fix the above?

Thank you so.......much for any help.

Kim

P.S. - I read on the forum about what to do before I post, but I can't even get into windows to do any of that. :tazz:

Kim

P.S. - I read on the forum about what to do before I post, but I can't even get into windows to do any of that.

g2i2r4

g2i2r4

retired HiJack Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 5,080 posts
Welcome KimKenM to Geeks to Go!

Let's give it a try.

We'll need to transport some files from the computer you are now using, to your infected computer.

Download smitRem.zip and save the file to your desktop.
Right click on the file and extract it to it's own folder on the desktop.
So you'll get a new folder called smitrem on your desktop.
I want you to put that folder on cd, floppy or usb-stick.

On your infected computer, boot again in safe mode and open your task manager again.
Now insert the cd, floppy or usb-stick where you saved the smitrem folder in your infected computer.

In your Task Manager, click 'applications' (first tab).
Click the New Task button.
Cick browse.

Now browse to the drive where your floppy, usb-stick or cd is present (could be A or D or E or F.. you'll see..)
Search for that smitrem folder.
Right click on the smitrem folder and choose: Copy

Now browse again via Task Manager to My Documents or Program Files.
Right click somewhere in there, right click and choose: Paste
Now open the smitrem folder you just copied and pasted and click the file: RunThis.bat
Then click open.
In the window where it says 'Create new task', click OK.

Normally, you'll have to drag the different windows you'll see to left or to right, because normally they will open on top of each other and you wont see the command window the tool starts that is under it.
You'll see a blue window now.
Follow the prompts on screen.
Wait for the tool to complete.

When done, in Task Manager, click 'shut down' from the menu on top and click restart. Your computer will reboot now.
Reboot to normal mode and post a hijackthis log in your next reply.

KimKenM

KimKenM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
>On your infected computer, boot again in safe mode and open your >task manager again.

I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear when I said my system freezes. I can't get into windows either in safe mode or regular. Both freeze up during bootup so I can't get into the task manager on the infected computer. Thanks for your help.

g2i2r4

g2i2r4

retired HiJack Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 5,080 posts
Do you have a bootdisk you can use?

KimKenM

KimKenM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok. Thanks everyone for your help. I did find a solution. I put in the xp installation disk and used the setup disk to partition my hard drive. I then was able to install windows xp on the new partition even though it would freeze on the old partition. Windows automatically booted up into the new partition and I was able to access the old partition will all of the files I needed. I was then able to backup all of my old data. Yeah! Thanks again.

g2i2r4

g2i2r4

retired HiJack Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 5,080 posts
That's good news!

Thank you for the feedback.

I will close the topic now.