Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intermittent shared printer connection loss

• Please log in to reply

GallopingGeek

GallopingGeek

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I''ve been called in to try and clean up a problem that someone else configured incorrectly, and I'm not sure where to look.

I have a network running from a domain set up on a Windows 2003 Server, and three workstations running XP Professional. Workstation 1 has a printer which is shared across the network. Workstation 2 sees this printer and works perfectly. Workstation 3 sometimes refuses to connect to this printer. If I reboot it, it connects to the printer and works for "three to five days" before it goes out again. When it's not working, you can go to Printers and Faxes and see the printer status listed as "Opening..."

I've checked the printer permissions, and it's set for everyone to have full control of it, and there doesn't seem to be a login required on Workstation 1 to access the print share. I've bypassed problems like this for shared network drives in the past with the NET USE command, but don't know if I can use the same trick for a printer.

If it makes a difference, Workstation 3 used to run XP Home Edition, and was later upgraded to XP Professional.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give,

Jacob Valdez

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try uninstallling the printer from the workstation that it is shared from now and then installing it on the 2003 server. if your p rinter doesnt have a NIC card in it you will need a print server to do this. once you install it on the server then you can add this printer to the desktops. the desktop probably isn't spooling this printer right.

GallopingGeek

GallopingGeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I wish I could just do that...unfortunately, they have the 2003 server in a closet and need the printer at Workstation 1 (it's the receptionist desk in a dental office).

I don't suppose there's a DOS workaround (like PRINTCAP or something) that I could use in a batch file to run at startup on Workstation 3, is there?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well that's the beauty of a print server...it can be anywhere on the network and installed anywhere