Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a system need help

• Please log in to reply

waterman460000

waterman460000

• Pip
  • 5 posts
HELP i am trying to build a system and i am not sure if the parts i have are going to run the system when i am done i have done extensive research and to me it seems that my parts are compatible with each other. well here they are

Case and Power Supply

Processor and CPU Cooler

Motherboard

RAM

Video Card

Hard Drive

CD-RW and DVD RW

any help and/or replies given will be greatly appreaciated

Edited by waterman460000, 15 July 2005 - 09:48 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Your motherboard is incompatible with your CPU you want the same motherboard as i have (see below). Thats not alot of ram you want at least 1GB in a new system. The hard drive is IDE you want to get a SATA in a new system as SATA connections are faster(ATA150) and most new ones support NCQ, for some reason they are sometimes cheaper as well.
The PSU is fine good brand, the case is a bit nasty lookin but thats just me,a pair 120mm fans are fast becoming the standard now and you ideally want them as they are quieter and push more air through your system.
For more bang for your buck i would go with a vanilla x800 like the one from HIS sam price as most of the 6600GTs and cheaper than the 256meg versions. X800s also have a 256bit interface and 256mb ram minimum. You also want pci express as AGP cards wont be in production for new model cards so upgrades will be difficult.

You obviously havent done much research or done bad research the cpu compatibility was obvious i saw it was wrong before the page had finished loading.

waterman460000

waterman460000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
can you please tell me what any or this means and where are the parts you recommended

waterman460000

waterman460000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
also i have a pretty old computer that i think the RAM cards will work do you think it will

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

also i have a pretty old computer that i think the RAM cards will work do you think it will

View Post

no...if its "pretty old" im sure it wont work!!

Go here and look around http://www.newegg.com/

You could build the entire computer there...its much easier that way IMO

waterman460000

waterman460000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I just redid my planned system this is how it looks now

Case and Power Supply

Processor and CPU Cooler

Motherboard

RAM (getting 4 cards)

Video Card

Hard Drive

CD-RW and DVD RW

any help will be appreciated

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You will need to find your own stuff im not trawling through the american sites to give you links( also dont give just give us links names of the hardware are good i know most of the compatible hardware specs for nf4s). Just google it.

With HDs being so cheap its a crime not to get more than 100-160GB at least its only when you get to 250gb that they get expensive. You want a SATA 150 like that one or a SATA-II drive they are harder to find but arent really much more expensive, if you cant get one its not terrible though there are debates over the advantage of sata II.

Your gfx is a five series nvidia are on 7 now you want to get one generation back from the latest for a good deal and preformance at the mon=ment though i prefer ATI as the value for money is better.

Dont get 4 sticks of ram as it will slow it down if you use four sticks of ddr400 you are only going to get ddr333 out of them. It also usually works out more expensive and you dont get as good ram the best ram sometimes isnt made in less than 512mb sticks, you also wont get dual channel, you want a matched pair of 512mb sticks from corsair, ocz, gell or patriot.

Your CPU is good and i can vouch that the mobo is the bees knees.

waterman460000

waterman460000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
one last thing is this mobo pci or agp compatible