Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freeze up

• Please log in to reply

old momma

old momma

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
started freezing up & shutting off by itself, I have put new power supply, new hard drive,new floppy drive in, but it still would not stay on long enough to install windows again. Now the computer stay on but I cannot get the siginal to the monitor, Installed a new video card, still nothing, Monitor is good, it works great when I hook my other computer to it. I do not know what to do now, I cleaned the memory last night and got the beeping to stop. And the only way you can turn it off & on is the switch on the power supply. I do not know what else to do. I need help, PLEASE , Brenda my email is [email protected]

Edited by old momma, 15 July 2005 - 11:24 AM.

Advertisements

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Have you tried hooking another monitor to your card? If you can get a signal then reinstall your video drivers and see if your other monitor works.

Emery

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I just tried that, using the monitor I am using now and it said no signal and the computer has started beeping again.

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Emery, if you have any more suggestions, Please I will try just about anything on this, I thank you for helping.

St0rm

St0rm

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Are you overheating your comp? Maybe the temperature is too high...

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I thought about the heat & when I installed the new power supply I also installed
a new fan which makes it 3 fans inside now, counting the one on the power supply.
The computer has the same problems even when you 1st turn it on in the morning.
Please if you think of anything else, let me know. Thank You.

St0rm

St0rm

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
It sounds like its your motherboard. If you replaced as many things as you did and were still having problems, thats really the only thing left.

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Take everything off your motherboard except for your CPU, PSU, RAM, video card and HDD. You'll have a blank PC. Now try to turn on your computer and see if you will get a signal.

Emery

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
First, Thank you for helping. Status is now, got monitor on, got windows xp pro installed, but still have same problem I had at the beginning, even with all the new parts. It freezes up and reboots its self for no reason. I am getting codes now that I got it back on. Maybe someone can tell me what they are.
C:\Windows\Minidump\mini 071705-01.dmp and
C:\Docume~1\Admini~1\Locals~1\Temp\WER1.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xm1
And there is a bunch of other codes:
Bccode: 100000ea
Bcp1:FF62E020
BCP2:80CFBC08
BCP3:80DB1D98
BCP4:000000001
OSVER:5_1_2600
SP:0_0
pRODUCT:256_1
OK that is it, and that is enough, i do believe, Please can anyone tell me
what these mean, and what I should do about them
Thank You , Brenda

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
How many sticks of memory do you have on your motherboard? If you've got more than one, take them all out except for one. Keep adding sticks until your system is rebooting by itself.

Advertisements

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I only have one stick of memory, I took it out and cleaned it and it did not help.
It looks like it maybe the motherboard, God knows I did not want it to be that.
But I learned how to replace everything else, I guess I can learn to replace it also.
I listed a list of error codes yesterday, I was thinking it might be something simple,
does anyone know what the codes mean? Thank You.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
those codes are not terribly helpful without running a memory dump through a debugger...they are memory addresses and something at those memory addresses is going wrong.

To see those errors, you had to have windows up and running...?

So, is it or is it not running?

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Thank you for being so fast. Yes I have windows xp back on it again now, but it
freezes up so fast now it is hard to do anything on it or it will just reboot over and
over again. I have a Norton anit-virus I can try to load on it, do you think that will help?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no,

what we need is the reason why it is crashing....

You are rebooting because that is the default windows setting...

Can you load in safe mode?

If you can keep your computer running for a few minutes,

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, in the STARTUP area, press SETTINGS, uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

reboot....

Now, wait until it crashes again, and you will get a BSOD (blue screen of death)--report the STOP number and any message.

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I think you got that part fixed. I did like you said, unchecked the automatically
restart. I have restarted it 3 time now. It has not turned itself off, but it freezes
up. Can you please tell me what I can do about that. When it freezes up the red
light on my hard drive goes out and the yellow light goes out. The only way to
turn it back on is to use the power switch in the back and then it flashes and I
turn it on with the on button in front. But it has not rebooted again, that is GREAT.