Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Error Message

• Please log in to reply

LisaMatthews

LisaMatthews

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have XP Professional and I unable to start my computer. I am getting an error message that reads windows\system32\config\system is corrupt or missing. It starts to insert the start up cd and press "r". The problem is I have no idea where the cd is. Is there a way to get around this without the cd? I tried to run it on safe mode but I get the same error message.

I was told it might be some type of virus? Which I can't understand since I have norton (symantec) and an aol firewall.

If I have to get a new disc, will I lose the information and programs I have on the computer? :tazz:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by LisaMatthews, 15 July 2005 - 10:37 AM.

Advertisements

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
If you get the new disc, you won't have to lose your data. Once you have a new disc, try the repair setting.

Emery

Edited by S A A B, 15 July 2005 - 10:54 AM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

You will need your XP cd...

Boot up with the XP CD in the drive and let Setup run. Go past the "C" and "R" repair options by pressing Enter just as if you're doing a clean install and you'll eventually get an option to "Repair an existing installation". That's the one you want. If it asks about formatting you've gone wrong, so start over.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards. NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

http://support.micro...kb;EN-US;315341

http://www.webtree.c...p/repair_xp.htm

Murray