Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New IP addrss or change IP address ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Postal68

Postal68

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok here's the situation. My dumb [bleep] practical joker brother got my IP address banned from a message board that I like to frequent.

Is there anyway to get around this block by either changing my IP address or masking it.

thanks

Advertisements

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
i dont know if you could renew an I.P adress

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Did your service provider assign you a specific IP address? If not, then you can change it. How depends on your setup. But there may be other ways the BB recognizes your computer.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Did your brother maybe just changed your firewall settings? So you just cannot link to that address.

Jack123

Postal68

Postal68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Did your brother maybe just changed your firewall settings? So you just cannot link to that address.

Jack123

View Post

No ,
he was on there F'ng around with people and the moderator banned him, and my IP tp go along with it. I tried e-mailing them but they will not re-instate my access.

I hope there is something I can do

operation ivy

operation ivy

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
for a cable connection you could try unplugging your modem for 26 hours (to be safe) if that fails then try using a proxy....

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Change ISP

Shaggy

Shaggy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
If you happen to be using a router, a lot of routers give you the ability to manually change the MAC address on the WAN side, or at least to clone it from the PC. Doing so then requesting a new IP from your ISP might just work for you. It's quicker than leaving the modem off for over 24 hours, but that's not a bad idea, it's just waiting for your IP lease to expire, assuming the lease period is 24 hrs.

-shaggy

Edited by Shaggy, 15 July 2005 - 10:28 PM.

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Shhh... Let him answer the important question... HOW is he connected?

Both DSL and Cable (depending on the company and setup options chosen) will give you a dynamic IP address.

On DSL (and usually cable), you can normally access your DSL/CABLE router and renew it's IP address. If you've got a static IP though, you're best bet is to contact the ISP and request a new IP addy.

As to how to access your router, thats where the manual comes in handy. (or a quick Google for the model #)

Postal68

Postal68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Shhh... Let him answer the important question... HOW is he connected?

Verizon DSL

Advertisements

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Verizon, unless you paid for a static IP address, you'll have a dynamic IP.
Just access your DSL router (its IP depends on the model, check the Manual if you've got it) and just disconnect it for about 5 minutes. Though if it gives you the option, change the lease to expire in like 1 minute then once it has the new IP, set the lease back to 24 hours or so.

MalwareWarrior

MalwareWarrior

• Pip
  • 5 posts
That or you can use FireFox with the "Switch Proxy" extension. This option will allow you to change the IP address that the site sees anytime that you want just by clicking a button.

Postal68

Postal68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

That or you can use FireFox with the "Switch Proxy" extension. This option will allow you to change the IP address that the site sees anytime that you want just by clicking a button.

View Post

I'm using Mozilla, does it also have this option, if so I'll give it a shot.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
you can ask your ISP to change your IP address, or you can contact the site admin to explain the situation and ask them kindly to allow you accessing their site.

Postal68

Postal68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

you can ask your ISP to change your IP address, or you can contact the site admin to explain the situation and ask them kindly to allow you accessing their site.

View Post

I've tried the latter and that was a no-go.