Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

EIDE and SATA

• Please log in to reply

steve423

steve423

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a Dell computer with both SATA (2) and EIDE slots. I want to boot to the EIDE hard drive and have the SATA hard drive load as a secondary drive. I need to do some data recover on SATA drive. The EIDE drive is running Windows XP Pro and SATA drive ran XP Home.
The problem is the SATA drive is booting first and then brings up the blue screen of death.. I can't seem to find the right config in the bios to tell it to boot from the IDE drive.

The SATA drive was in another computer. The stop error I'm getting on it is:
STOP: 0x0000007b (oxf96dd63c, 0x0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

It says I should try chkdsk /f I boot off the CD and found that there is no chkdsk /F option at the repair console. I tried chkdsk /r and it got 33% done and then said it could not recover the drive.

I have a great data recovery tool I can use on the drive if I could just get it to boot as a secondary drive.

I noticed that when I tried to reinstall windows on the same partition (C:), the partition is said to be unknown. - neither NTFS or FAT32. With the partition being unknown if I can get the EIDE drive to boiot first I'm wondering if Windows will even be able to assigne it a drive letter, so that I can run my data recover software.

Any ideas

Steve

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The boot order is handled by the bios. You have to check again.

The only other thing I can think of is there might be a jumper on the motherboard to change boot order. (unlikely in this day and age of bios'.)

Do you have the manual?

Maybe a call to Dell support is in order.

makai

steve423

steve423

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I've checked and double checked for a bios option. The boot order does not show anything but CD-ROM, HD, and network device. I called Dell and they would not assit me, since the SATA drive was not installed or sold by Dell.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok...

Maybe the bios is smart enough to detect jumper settings on the drives... even if they're not connected to the same channel. Pretend they were, and set the jumpers with the EIDE as master and the sata as slave.

By the way, the stop error is irrevelent.. and so is trying to run something on the sata drive. The reason it's erroring is because the sata configuration doesn't match the system its now trying to boot on.

If you cannot get this going, don't start trying to fix anything by reinstalling windows somewhere. If the computer is confused, heaven knows where your installation will go!

makai

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
There should be something under boot priotiies where the drives are mentioned by name.
If you want to recover the data you might try not connecting the drive until windows has loaded i dont know if that will work though its just an idea. if it works you can retrieve the data and then format the drive to get rid of the old windows instalation.

steve423

steve423

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
SATA drive are not configured the same way as EIDE. There is no master/slave setting on SATA drive.

I was hopeing that the SATA drive was plug and pray too. I tried booting up into Windows and then connecting the SATA drive but no luck. I think I read somewhere that externeal SATA is plug and pray.

Steve

What do you think about erasing the MBR on the SATA drive, therefore preventing it from booting at all? This would, at least in my theory force the bios to look to EIDE boot sector.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
ah, dell and their phenomenal tech support...

given the options you listed in the bios for boot order, and knowing how dell likes to cripple the bios so the average user cant screw it up too badly, you may be stuck. just a guess, but if it has sata ports, dell may have set it to try booting them first by default.

sata is supposedly hot-swappable, but not all motherboards seem to support that. I havent tried it myself, nor have I come across anyone who has.

have you tried connecting the sata drive into the dell, using the second sata port only? this may trick it into not trying to boot from the first sata port...

it might be worthwhile to try and find an external mount case to load the sata drive in, and connect it to the machine with usb. this should prevent it from trying to boot to that drive, or at least you can add the drive after the pc boots normally from its normal C drive.

otherwise, I would suggest finding friend with sata that you can add your drive to, and do the data recovery from there.

Edited by audioboy, 15 July 2005 - 08:18 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Doing the recovery on another computer is probably the best idea then you can reformat the drive and install windows on it so that you just boot from the SATA drive.

steve423

steve423

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, I've tried the second SATA port, no luck. My friend motherboard does not have a second SATA port and SATA drive are not cheap. I have an External EIDE case but not SATA.

Looks like I'm going to try to delete the boot sector.

Thanks
Steve

HappySurfer

HappySurfer

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have had an almost identical problem. SATA drive died on my Dell due to my attempts to remove a malware/spyware thingy.

During the AdAware SE scan, she locked up and no longer boots. Grrrr!

My other Dell only has an IDE drive, BUT it has the controller for SATA.
Trouble is that the BIOS will not allow the SATA drive (Maxtor Diamondmax 9 plus 160GB) to be a SECONDARY drive to the IDE as primary. HOW ANNOYING!

Dell's Tech support was absolutely useless.

I spent 2 hours online chatting with them yesterday - 5-10 minutes between responses from the level zrro tech on the other end (LOL!)

What about this idea - go out and buy a SATA drive and install THAT as the primary on the Dell, and this dead one with all my precious data, as a SECONDARY SATA drive? Supposedly it is automatic which one is master and slave but who knows! MAYBE that could work....

I am just not sure if I can install XP on a fresh SATA drive. All I have is the DELL
XP Home install CD and a copy of XP Home UPGRADE that I bought for an
older Dell laptop here...

Does anyone know if that might goive me access to the data on this messed up SATA drive?

I can access the SATA drive only through the F12 Boot and test utility diagnostics.
Most of the tests work, BUT the Confidence test fails as does the verify test, as follows:
Error Code 0F00 : 1A44
Message Block 543070 Uncorrectable Error or MEDIA IS WRITE PROTECTED.
Same for blocks 543072, 543075 etc. etc.

I suspect this is not a huge problem.

However, fixing it is a different storym thanks to the incompetence of Dell's
tech support.

Can anyone advise?? THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS!!!

I have access to e-mail still, via this other working computer.

HappySurfer

HappySurfer

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Steve - I spoke with Dell and you can NOT mix IDE and SATA drives and expect to run the SATA as a slave to the IDE.

This is unfortunate.

I have been doing MUCH better with Dell's telephone tech support today than I did with their useless CHAT support yesterday but still no solution. I have an intermittent HARD STOP error when trying to repair and boot from CD-R.

The guy was going to help me reinstall those 4 crucially importanht files, and it was getting difficult becaise at first it would boot to the recovery console, but THEN it started getting the HARD STOP error again.

I think they usually get lazy and have people format he hard drive but I REALLY want to recover my data... so what are the choices?
Buy some commercial drive recovery program for $350 (SHEESH!) or
format the hard drive. Well, the guy was SUPPOSED To call me back in "5 ro 10 minutes." It's now been about 45 minutes and no phone call from India!

steve423

steve423

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I feel your pain, man. I found a friend with a SATA system and I'm going to try it in it.

You might ask around at your local repair shops and get a quote.

Steve

ShvdPss

ShvdPss

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Both EIDE-master & SATA-slave is Totally Possible!!!

I actually finished doing it to a friends computer just recently. He wanted to use the SATA for storage of graphic files and of course the Page File.

1. Set IDE jumper as Master or just be sure it's on the right end of the cable.
2. Reset Configuration data in BIOS
3. Change Boot Order to boot from CD then HDD.
4. Do a Clean Installation of Windows on the new drive with no SATA connected
|||Carefull Sequence*** 1)Install all of your Drivers of couse 2)Install SP2
3) After being 100% sure that you have the latest version of your BIOS hotconnect the SATA in Windows and Plug and Pray is replaced with Oh Thank God!!!

Of course from there you said that you have a great file recovery program so hopefully you can take it from there.

If not my email is available. As a last resort download the latest Seagate Utility Tools. Boot to them on Floppy, CD, or just use the Windows version. The Drive installation utility allows you to set and backup the MBR.

If all else fails and you just can't get around it try adding a multi boot line into the boot.ini for whatever volume windows is trying to go to when you get a BSD. This might give you enough time to simply select the OS on the appropriate drive.

Let me know how it's comin along. I'll try and help where I can