Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer browser crash

• Please log in to reply

madcow22

madcow22

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello,

I posted a message a few weeks ago when I was infected with the ABI-Network /Aurora spyware/adware/virus. With this WONDERFUL site's help, I was able to clean my PC totally of ALL the spyware/adware/viruses. The only remaining after effect of the malware issue is my IE browser crashes. Since that time my Internet Explorer browser has not operated properly...it will make it through a few web pages, then it will give me an error message: "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. ..." And then I have no choice but to shut down IE. -- Now I have downloaded and used FireFox browser, however, (and I know you guys are not going to agree with this) However, I prefer to use IE (at least for certain things). So, that being said. I was wondering if there was anyway to fix the IE browser.

My guess is that 1) somehow some of the files to the browser were messed up with the recent spyware/adware/virus AND/OR 2) when deleting some files from the registry that involved the pervasive malware, some IE files may have been removed or damaged. -- Since IE is incorporated into Windows XP then my understanding is you can't really "remove/uninstall" it and then re-install it like other software. I have gone to the registry and turn off / "modify" the IsInstalled (or something like that...I can't remember exactly). Then installed SP1 and then SP2 packs. Neither of these helped to resolve the IE problems of crashing for no reason. (for some reason it seems to crash most of time when visiting www.ircspy.com website .. after I do a search for something...not sure why that is the most common site for the crashing...but this is not the only time it does it. It can shut down at any time.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks. Madcow22

Advertisements