Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ipod mini

• Please log in to reply

ankush patel

ankush patel

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
hey,
i have an ipod mini that i am running under windows 98
and i just wanted to know that my hard drive on my ipod mini is right

i have 234 songs and i have 2.3 gb available

does that sound right?

also i just wanted to ask that i bought a 4 gig ipod
and it is telling me that the capacity is 3.7 gig.

Advertisements

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
The amount of space left on the iPod many (and ANY mp3 player for that matter) will depend on the quality of the Songs. Here's a good article showing the bitrate vs. size:
http://www.bellaonli...es/art17930.asp

Basically, the higher the quality, the larger the file.
128k bitrate is essentially "CD-Quality" in the example from the article, a 6 second file that was originally 1mb in size as a WAV is 97kb.

In something with the capacity of the iPod and other harddrive-based MP3 players, You can stick with 128k or even higher, if you're an audiophile and can claim to hear the difference... But if you're just ripping you're CDs, there's no point really in ripping them at a higher quality than they normally play.

As for a 4gb iPod showing 3.7gb, you'll find that on all MP3 players. The "missing" space is usually reserved for system files that allow the player to operate correctly. (plus, alot of companies will round up when its that close)