Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive Problem

• Please log in to reply

YeOldePube

YeOldePube

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Let me first explain my problem,

I have two hard drives, 50 Gb each, I got Windows ME with my comp, I then installed Fedora Core (Linux) onto the second drive (D) with Windows ME still on the primary drive ©. This worked perfectly with the choice to boot from C drive (Windows ME) or D drive (Linux Fedora Core). But I then tried to install Windows XP on C drive and it all went tits up (wrong). Now after a lot of pissing around I have C drive working with Windows ME installed on it after using the backup disc, but Windows ME sees the second hard drive in device manager but doesn't see it in My Computer. So I am left with a useless second drive which I guess must be formatted in a way Windows ME can't understand. Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated because I've been 50 gig down for about 6 months now.

Cheers

Steve

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You might want to see if your chipset drivers are up to date. Also Microsoft has some updates related to chipsets and IDE drives that may affect you. I presume you've double checked your BIOS settings. Do you happen to know what chipset you have?

YeOldePube

YeOldePube

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
When I start my computer it says that the master is LBA? and the slave is CHS?. I dont know about the chipset or the IDE but I have been searching to try and fix this for ages and I dont actually know what I am searching for exactly, so any pointers to what may help me would be great. Tyger I may have sent you a message by mistake ;) :tazz:

Cheers

Steve

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

When I start my computer it says that the master is LBA? and the slave is CHS?. I dont know about the chipset or the IDE but I have been searching to try and fix this for ages and I dont actually know what I am searching for exactly, so any pointers to what may help me would be great. Tyger I may have sent you a message by mistake ;)  :tazz:

Cheers

Steve

View Post

0 new Messages. You might try changing the second drive to LBA and see if Windows picks it up. You can always change it back. You do that in Setup. I don't know what CHS is?

YeOldePube

YeOldePube

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tied changing the slave drive to LBA but it still doesn't recognise it. Is there any way I can format the slave drive from the BIOS/Windows or anywhere else. If I go to control panel and go to system, it shows on device manager(under disk drives) that I have two 'generic IDE disk type47' s, they both have exactly the same properties apart from on the drive I have working under current drive letter assignment it says C: and on the drive that isnt working under current drive letter assignmentn it has nothing and I cant change it.

Cheers

Steve

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Something you might want to try before completely giving up on Linux is to go Start>Run, type in fdisk and use Fixed Disk to remove and replace the partition on the D;? drive. If BIOS can see the disk but Windows can't, in all likelyhood fdisk will see it too.