Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Keyboard doesn't work!

• Please log in to reply

naught33

naught33

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,

My keyboard doesn't seem to work, it won't let me type anything, which is a problem considering i have my computer password protected so I cant even enter in my password because I get to that screen which says hit "control alt delete" and then would normally bring me to my password prompt but since the keyboard isn't working I cant hit those keys. I unplugged it and plugged it back in, no change. I went and bought a new keyboard plugged it in, but I still get to that same point and am unable to hit "ctrl alt delete", tried putting the CD for the keyboard in hoping that would override it and let me do something, but it didnt....the mouse works but i have no where to move it to.

Any ideas of what is going on here? Thanks.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Is this a ps2 or usb keyboard?

naught33

naught33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i believe a ps2, although im not really sure what a ps2 keyboard means

drats666

drats666

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
ps2 is the default mouse port its designed for mouse and keyboard a usb is like a little square piece that sticks into a slot. a ps2 is round and has prongs in it(little metal rods in it). i am having the same problemy exsept my keyboard is in a laptop so its built in. idk how to solve your problem but i could tell ya what a ps2 and usb is. if you are still unsure try googling ps2 mouses or keyboards then a usb keyboard.

naught33

naught33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
yeah i definately have a ps2keyboard then, thanks..hopefully someone will know how to fix the problem

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
warning - avoid connecting and disconnecting ps2 devices with the power on the computer. it is possible to take out(damage) the ps2 port on the motherboard.

Edited by bdlt, 16 July 2005 - 09:55 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Borrow a USB keyboard off someone if you can and try that.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
bldt made a very good point there about connecting/disconnecting ps2 devices while powered on.
Warriorscot is right as well, try a usb keyboard if possible. It sounds like your ps2 keyboard port may be damaged